How to build a big app → APK max. 100 MB or → AAB 150 MB

Steps to build a big app for

1. APK → max. 100 MB or
  2. AAB → max. 150 MB (new, added on Aug 31, 2021)

1. APK (Note: apps that were released before Aug 1, 2021 can still use APKs !)

You can use e.g. APK Editor Studio for that.
First download the keystore "android.keystore" from your AI2 account and rename it to: "android.ks"

1. remove some big files (png, jpg, mp3,…) from the assets (AIA < 10 MB, better < 5 MB)
  2. build APK
  3. decompile APK
  4. (re)insert the missing files to the assets
  5. recompile your app
  6. sign APK

Video tutorial (APK Editor Studio):

2. AAB (Note: For new apps you must use AABs.)

1. Export your keystore (android.keystore)
  2. Remove some big files (png, jpg, mp3, wav, …) from the assets (AIA < 20 MB, better < 5 MB)
  3. Build the AAB
  4. Open the AAB with 7-Zip or WinRAR and (re)insert the missing files to the assets
  5. Sign the AAB (→ Java JDK 8):
    jarsigner -verbose -sigalg SHA256withRSA -digestalg SHA-256 -keystore android.keystore appName.aab androidkey -signedjar appName_signed.aab
  6. Upload AAB to the Play Store

15 Likes

thank you!
added to the list of solutions here How to overcome the App Inventor project limit of 10 MB
Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

3 Likes

java -cp “*” com.google.appinventor.buildserver.Main --inputZipFile %inputfile% --userName %username% --outputDir %outputdir% --dexCacheDir %dexcache%

@Yong_Tang please kindly elaborate, what exactly you like to tell us with that snippet
Thank you

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

1 Like

To build using ant:
ant

To run build server:
ant RunLocalBuildServer

To test server:
POST of file to http://localhost:9990/buildserver/build-from-zip -> file. Something like the following works:
curl --data-binary @$HOME/MyDownloads/ImageUpload.zip --output foo.apk --dump-header headers.out
http://localhost:9990/buildserver/build-from-zip?uname=$USER

To run standalone zip file builder:

ant RunMain -Dzip.file=$HOME/MyDownloads/ImageUpload.zip -Duser.name=$USER -Doutput.dir=/tmp

**no 10M limit.**

*.aia = *.zip
ant RunMain -Dzip.file=$HOME/MyDownloads/ImageUpload.aia -Duser.name=$USER -Doutput.dir=/tmp

Nice information that we know well enough.
What are you trying to tell us in an "educational way"?

1 Like

Hi
Apk Editor Studio can REsign app with another keystore? not with AI2 keystore?

Thank
Angelo

Thank Anke
...I don't understand, let me explain:
I already have an'App on Play Store since 2012
I work on AI2 then compile my apk
Once I always signed it by Marketizer then App to Market by my certificate "myApp.ks"
If i try with APK EStudio, I get an error

Error: Invalid or corrupt jarfile C:/myApp.ks

clearly I have inserted the file in the setting of apk editor studio in apksigner path:

Have you some idea?

regards
Angelo

If you have added your .ks file to Apksigner path: then it's wrong..

Click on reset button + Apply

Now click on Open key manager, point to the path of your .ks, fill in pass etc. and try again..

1 Like

Now I understand
I had already tried to open the key manager but seeing the buttons "create" I thought it was a generator of new certificates
Many thanks Boban, you are always precious! and thanks Anke too!
Angelo

Hi Boban,
Can I use APK Editor Studio to replace App To Market? I cannot recompile my AI2 app in App To Market after last release of AI2.
--Hon

Why this question? I showed in the video that it works. So just give it a try ...

Thank you.

• Your video was post on Jan 24. I am not sure if it still work after the last AI2 release. (My app worked fine in App To Market before this month).
  • In fact I did watch your video, but it had no audio or subtitle and the screen changed too fast for me. Maybe that's because I have not used APK Editor Studio and thus not familiar with the screen shot. Will try again.

QUESTION: Can I migrate the keystore from App To Market to APK Editor Studio? I think changing keystore will cause problem with Google Play.

Thank you very much for the help. Sorry, I did not pay attention from the first time, and I thank you for sending the solution again

I made a dutch tutorial on my website about this. https://petermathijssen.nl/een-grote-app-bouwen/

4 Likes

Note : I added Part 2 on how to build a big app → AAB & sign it to my guide.
It takes less than 1 minute to insert large files into the assets and sign the AAB .

(added to FAQ)

1 Like