App inventor not able to compile apk

Hello everyone,


At first, thank you so much for the tips. The compiling of the App works now. I just have one screen with multiple Arrangements.
I have also added a favorite list and a search function.

The search function with the element "contains text - piece" works also great. But I have one problem here. In Germany we often use big Letters, but to save time with the search function, you tip in the text box with small letters. To get a result, the word must be tipped in correctly.
How can I arrange, that the search function ignores the use of big/ small letters? Is it possible at all?

Attached the updated aia file.


1 Like

Thank you so much.

Now I want that the search function searches the list after each letter tipped in with the keyboard. Is there another trick?
Actually, I have to press the search button manually.

See here, how to create such a procedure

1 Like

Thank you. This will help.

But now I've got finally the problem, that the app has overcome the limit of ~46 MB.
I cannot compile the apk anymore.
I've read the tips to overcome the limit, but none of them does really help me.
I've tried the offline server, AI2 offline, but there also is the compiling error.

I want the mp3 files are being placed in the assets after installation. So I don't want an external storage and download them seperately.
Is it possible to put the mp3 files to the assets in the apk after compiling the app? So I just link the files to the player etc. without uploading them to MIT Server.
Will they be installed or ignored when I click to install the app on my phone?

Or is there any other online server beside (<50 MB) with a total limit of 100 MB? That would be enough for the app, I think it will have 80 -90 MB at the end.


You did not do well reading ...

Among the tips on the Taifun website is a link to that tip:


Thank you, this works fine with the APK Editor. This is an acceptable solution.

But I figured out, that this was not the reason why the apk could not be built.
I deleted a lot of sounds but still I can't compile the app.

So I deleted some elements of the list sounds_tuerme. With the last connected element, you see in the picture, the compiling of the app works. One more item, and the compiling fails.

Why? The size of the app does not change And it should be ok to have more than 1.500 Elements over three lists.

Thank you so much,

Hard-coded approach use csv file instead and by doing that you can get rid of 4500 blocks..

1 Like

Very nice! Thank you so much.
This is finally the solution, so I can finish my work on this project.
I have already exported the existing lists to csv, so I can continue to add more sounds with excel.

Just one little problem: In Germany we have special character letters like ä ö ü etc.
How can I arrange that they are displayed properly after importing?

1 Like


If not displayed correctly in the App, it will be because of the format of the CSV file. When the CSV is exported, ensure it is formated UTF-8. The default is probably ASCII.


Yes. This was the reason, thank you.

Another little problem: After building the app and pasting of the assets, I'm not able to play the sound anymore. Sharing works. I also tried to paste "//", but it still doesn't play the sound. There is no change in the procedure.


I figured out that at least one sound has to be uploaded to the media files. No everything is ok.
Thanks so much to the community.
I'll give the final update when I finished my work here.

1 Like

What do you mean by that: at least one sound?
Every sound should be stored in the assets or somewhere in order to be able to play it.

I think he means that the compiler has to create an "assets" folder in the APK file. To do this, there must be at least one file added to the media in AppInventor.

When there are no files in the media, there is no "assets" folder in the apk and the app may not take into account the files added there after decompiling the apk?

Ah, I see, but it is no problem to add the assets folder containing the sound files after decompiling the APK.

I deleted all the sounds in the media. I only left the images in the media storage.

After compiling, I added all the sounds with APK Editor to the assets. After installation, I got this error 701 which I could still not explain. The assets folder was there, because of the images which remains in the online media storage.
I just tried to upload one sound and repeated compiling. After installation, everything worked fine. I did not change anything to the procedure, just reuploaded one sound.
It is a little bit amazing, but now it works :wink:

1 Like

Strange, but I can confirm it. However, it can also be any MP3 file, not just the ones used.

I'll look into that in more detail later. I have been using this approach for almost 10 years and have at least some small mp3 files in the assets for testing, so this problem has remained hidden from me. But good to know.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, it was due to this line/lines was missing in apktool.yml file



I couldn't remember this thread at all. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.