We will be releasing the next version of MIT App Inventor tomorrow, December 19th, at around 10pm EST. This version will include a new companion version 2.56. However, upgrading the companion is only required if you plan to use the new sensors added in this release.
Some highlights of this release include:
- Deleted projects go into a separate Trash area similar to the Windows Recycle Bin or macOS Trash Can. App inventors can restore their projects from the Trash area (or permanently delete them).
- Autoloading of projects can be disabled using the option under the Settings menu. One can also append ?autoload=false in the URL to disable autoloading in case a large project prevents App Inventor from properly starting.
- Ability to manipulate the properties of multiple components by shift-clicking them in the designer. The properties panel will only show those in common, and changing a property in this mode will change it for all selected components.
- Four new sensor components for devices that support them: Barometer, Hygrometer, Light Sensor, and Thermometer.
- Some default setting changes for new projects: Sizing will be responsive by default and ShowListsAsJson will be true by default
- Adaptive icons: Specify an app icon of up to 512x512 and the build server will generate icons for every available icon size needed by Android.
For complete details on all of the changes in this release, please see the release notes.