[Paid] 📍 Location Service Extension

Description

This extension is able to run in the background while your app is closed and stores location data (latitude, longitude and optionally current datetime, altitude, accuracy, speed, current address and provider) in TinyDB.

Also a background web functionality is available which can be used to send the location data in the background to a web service of your choice using a POST request. This could be used for example to store the location data in a MySQL database or to send an email after a location change was detected while the app is not running.
A notifier will be displayed while the location service is running in the background.

notification

The extension can be used for devices starting from Android 5 (API 21).
For details, example project and documentation see here https://puravidaapps.com/locationservice.php

Available Blocks

In the example app you can define a tag for TinyDB to store the data for a trip before starting the service. Later or even while the service is still running you can choose one of the tags and display the coordinates in a map. I have chosen the line string component here in the example app.

Price

12 USD, Payment options see my webpage

Note

This extension does not work in Kodular, because Kodular still does not support AndroidX libraries.

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

10 Likes

Nice Extension @Taifun :heart_eyes: :+1:

1 Like

Awesome extension!

Nice extension @Taifun

1 Like

Tested it on my Pixel 4a with Android 11. It is working as it should. Didn't get an email after location change. Installed IFTTT but that didn't make a difference.

Great extension :snowboarder:

Just got back from an 11 km run. Working great. :grin:

2 Likes

AppInventor is slowly getting into building background apps :smiley:

2 Likes

(added to new FAQ section)

1 Like

Thank you everyone and thank you @Peter for your tests...

to get an email you only have to check the Email checkbox and enter a correct email address...

however you created a lot of location changed events in that 11 km run... depending on the time interval and distance interval you have chosen this probably could have been around 500-1000 location changed events? My guess therefore is, your email provider has identified that great amount of emails as spam and has blocked them therefore...

trying my best to push the limits into that direction...

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

2 Likes

I did enter a valid email and checked the checkbox. Just tested it again like this morning with a very short trip and now it works. Good job @Taifun. I must have done something wrong i guess.

1 Like