Update news section without reinstall the app

Hello everybody!

I'm working on a project with a news section and I would like to update the app every week.

How could I do that the apps in the user's phones update automatically (specifically the news section), without reinstall it each time?

Thank you so much in advance!

Use a FireBase

Google Sheets

CloudDB

or

Baserow Database

1 Like

Hello, @Peter!

You are very kind. Thanks a lot for your help.

Which of these options could you recommend me?

Personally I would use a Baserow database. Even the free version has plenty enough possibilities. I am selfhosting Baserow at the moment.

This is one of the apps i made using Baserow

The blocks for this show an offline version. At the moment I get the info from my onine database so it is always up to date.

@Peter, the problem is that the tutorials I have consulted are based on typing text in a text box, clicking a button and storing the information in the database. But I just need to be updated in the app that users download a news section that I would modify from App Inventor (it's only modifying the text in labels). How could I do it, please?

Here is a simple example using a google sheet

SHEET

BLOCKS

APP SCREEN

You add/amend the "news" in the rows in column A on the spreadsheet
When the app starts, it automatically fetches the spreadsheet content, and updates your news labels in the app

Thank you so much, @TIMAI2!

It's works perfect to update the news, but when I write bold text or I leave spaces between words, App Inventor doesn't show it in the app. Even, I assign the same size text in each box of Google Sheet and, in the app, some text is smaller than others.

How could I get the same text format in Google Sheets and in the app, please?

Try to embed HTML markup in your news, and display it in HTML Labels or WebViewers.

(I have not tried this.)

@ABG, I tried to do that and it doesn't work. :frowning:

Show your "news" in Google Sheets (with the formatting you indicate)

Some examples....

Labels setting

New Google Sheet

@TIMAI2, as you can see, App Inventor doesn't show the italic words, the bold words or text size. It doesn't show the spaces between words or if I change the colour of the words either.

See above your last post for examples

I can see a space between "New" and the number in each of your items ?

Hey, @TIMAI2!

Forgive me for responding now. I haven't been around for the last few weeks.

Finally, what you told me worked perfectly.

You are very kind. Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.