Student on Chromebooks unable to Sign In on Web Page

Our students are trying to access a website http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/ on their Chromebooks but just see a blank white screen. I don't see any logs in our content filter but I think it is the source of this issue because when I test on http://code.appinventor.mit.edu/login then it triggers an error in our logs. We use android tablets for the app and emulator, but students often do the coding on their Chromebooks and see the results on the tablet. Does anyone know if the first site I linked works for their chromebook?

I have already opened a support ticket with our content filter solution technical support to seek to resolve the error there, but I wanted to know if anyone else uses this application in this way.

Can you access the url on a windows,mac or linux computer in the same environment?

Two community discussions that might be helpful:

and

Yes I can get to it on my windows desktop and the students experiencing the issue can access it on desktops running windows as well all on the same network.

Thank you for the quick link, however, we are not trying to side-load the emulator on the chromebook. I'm just having trouble with the web page.

Great resources, thank you! I don't think the first one is our situation but the 2nd looks promising. We also use iBoss and I added the rule I think Joseph_Ochterski was referring to. Now my test student account can get to the page, but then the page after that runs into the same issue. I wonder how far this rabbit hole goes and I will investigate what is unable to be found now in our logs.

I have a chromebook, and use the AI2 companion app installed on the chromebook.

Accessing the ai2 site is not an issue for me (or others here who have indicated thus).

Best guess is a local network issue, or setting in the Chromebooks (http:// ?)

You cannot sideload the emulator on the Chromebook. However, you can load the companion app (APK) with sideloading when the system is set in developer mode, but more importantly you can install the APK via the Google Play Store on compatible Chromebooks. Your school IT can even install it centrally/remotely through the appropriate interfaces in the Google Apps for Education UI.

The Chromebook internal connection still requires that WebRTC (the protocol we use to establish the connection) can operate correctly on the school network. You may want your IT to look at this document which outlines most of the technical requirements from the App Inventor side.

Thank you for the response but we're not trying to side-load the emulator.

This was the solution with a bit of tweaking for us. We use iBoss and had to add mit.edu to our default geolocation PAC file so it would enable students to connect directly instead of by proxy.

Thank you all so much for the support and wow! This was a fast and helpful response from the community.

1 Like

Thank you for the response and glad to hear we're not alone! Another user posted a link that helped me to find the answer but thank you for your additional info.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.