[APP] 🔎 Using the Wikipedia API To Browse Wikipedia Pages!

Introduction

I do not want to focus on user interface and design, what really matters is the concept behind this app.

This is a sample application for users who want to search webpages in Wikipedia. This might be helpful, with the Google Search tutorial, if you would like to build your own browser. The user will be asked to enter a keyword, and then the application will show a list of relevant Wikipedia searches. The user can either load the webpage into a label, or into a WebViewer.

Note that the application uses 2 web APIs - one to load the result into the label with Wikipedia api with Plain Text Search Results (thank you @SteveJG!), and one I just found myself, which gives me a list of relevant searches and snippets.

Note that the second API returns snippets in HTML format. So, I decided to add a label in HTML format. We put the HTML text into the label, then load the label's text into the ListView, since ListView does not have HTMLFormat.

The aiStarter emulator cannot perform complicated Web get requests, so I suggest you to use a Genymotion emulator, an Android Studio emulator or on an actual phone.

Screenshots

All contributors

@SteveJG

App icon:

The app icon (duck-profile.jpg) is a watermark of AICODE.

Awards:

image001

Downloads

AIA: Wikipedia.aia (17.3 KB)

APK: Google Drive file.

Terms and Condtions

By remixing, sharing, or downloading this application, you agree the Terms and Condtions here.

Open Source

Yes, the project is open source! View it in the App Inventor gallery and load it into your project.

https://gallery.appinventor.mit.edu/?galleryid=e157f6f4-4f91-474a-8806-b9abe63c8b8a

:+1: Rate my app! :-1:

• Good app!
  • Bad app.

0 voters

Kindly :email: PM me if you have any questions! Also, if you like my app, please :heart: like it or :ballot_box: poll! It takes some effort for me to make it...

Votes and likes tell me the general user feedback of my app. If you saw this app, please take 20 seconds to drop by and give a vote / like!

If you have any features that you want to add to this app, PM me.

Gordon Lu

:speech_balloon: Message :earth_africa: Website :e-mail: E-mail

7 Likes

It's very nice work @Gordon_Lu !

1 Like

Useful app @Gordon_Lu!

1 Like

Note:

A part of the AIA file is explained as a Guide in my website, if you want to read the concepts, or some additional Behind The Scenes content. Thank you!

EDIT: Added to my website.

(added to FAQ)

2 Likes

Thank you all for your support in this app. This app was awarded for the most innovative app in March 2022 in the App of the Month competition!

image001

4 Likes

Wow, congratulations @Gordon_Lu !!

1 Like