The Porter-Duff Experiment

The Porter-Duff Experiment is NOT about a fictional progressive jazz/rock/fusion supergroup from the 1970's ( :wink: ), but relates to the compositing of digital images. You can read all about it HERE and some real world examples HERE

This extension provides all the various transformations available with PorterDuff.Mode. For ALL of the transformations to work, your source and destination image files MUST have a transparent background (or at least a part of the image should be transparent). Please note that the source and destination images need to have the same dimensions for an accurate transformation.

The possibilities for its use are endless, therefore I will show the basics, and then add specific use cases as required / requested.

• Latest Version: 1.0
  • Tested: This has been tested, on App Inventor 2 using Android 10 and 12 devices, companion 2.63u. It may work on other derivatives....e.g. Kodular/Niotron/etc.
  • Released: 14 July 2022
  • Last Updated: 14 July 2022
  • Built: Using the Rush Extension Builder by @shreyash

BLOCKS

• An image component is required to display the transformation output, this can then be saved to a file
  • The Transformations property contains a list of all the transformations possible, you select from this list and apply it to the transformValue
  • provide an absolute path for the source and destination files

USAGE

VIDEO

EXTENSION
PorterDuffTransformations.aix

EXAMPLE AIA
PorterDuffExperiment.aia

Enjoy :smiley: , and all feedback and comments welcome.

Available for use in any MIT AppInventor projects or competitions

#####################################################################
This work by TIMAI2 is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 Unported License with attribution.
Please use name = TIMAI2 and link to this source page when giving credit.
#####################################################################

20 Likes

Here is one that probably everybody wants....

Make a circular profile picture

8 Likes

You can have the generated image saved to another file instead of an image component (I tried to use the image from the component's image property to put it on a canvas but no matter how hard I try it on the canvas it appears as if the image component doesn't have an image) thanks for the help friend

I try to avoid using the file system :wink:

As a workaround:
To load the image into the canvas, use my image to base64 extension, then load the base64String as a background image to the canvas

3 Likes

Then probably make a helper extension for those who don't try to avoid. (Like me and he.) :wink:

1 Like

Your wish is my command :slight_smile:

Extension
PDEV2.aix

Example Blocks in Companion

Screen

This just a stop gap version, there is more to come with V1.x & V2.x.

5 Likes

Thank you very much friend, it is what I needed, I love you :3. Now I just need to find an extension for flood fill that works on android 10 jsjsjsjs

@Juan_Antonio ?

EDIT:
I modified your example aia (PorterDuffExperiment.aia) a bit so that it should work on all Android versions (Companion & APK):

4 Likes

Awesome :upside_down_face:

I don't understand this error

I clearly have the component right here....

Looks like you are using ios.

ios cannot use extensions, at this time.

1 Like

dang