Testing the next release of MIT App Inventor (nb184)

Indeed, 0 is the identity value for the + operator, and 1 is the identity value for the multiplication operator.
(There is probably a math term other than "Identity value', but I can't remember it.)

P.S. Change those > to ==> so they don't look like GREATER THAN operators.

While I agree with the technicalities here, I don't think it's really all that helpful in a language that's aiming to be approachable to non-programmers. For example, can you tell me which blocks these are?

My reasoning for preventing being able to reduce the number of inputs below two is to prevent these types of ambiguities. I've added this to our agenda for our staff meeting today (we can always relax the restriction at a later time).

1 Like

I personally found the discovery that I could remove inputs to math operations a pleasant surprise, like the discovery of zero across domains.
It tickled my math funny bone.

Why deprive students of that fun?

(Further thoughts, probably too late for your staff meeting ...)

Breaking things is a great way to learn.:

• Breaking atoms
  • Breaking atomic nucleii
  • Breaking protons
  • Breaking speed limits, sound and light
  • Breaking the bounds between light and matter

I vote for breakable.

What about the background image resolution scailing? was that sorted lately?

Those are blocks that fell into a Black Hole

1 Like

There are two blue ones, then two more blue ones with holes in.....

Hello everyone,

ai2-test has been updated with some additional changes:

• Features:
    • Component names ending in numbers sort sanely in block dropdowns, e.g., Button1 … Button2 ... Button10 … Button20
    • Add support for services and content providers in extensions (thanks @shreyash)
  • Bug fixes:
    • Prevent deactivate gallery URLs from opening
    • Fix an issue where blocks editor stops page from responding to touch on mobile
    • Prevent scroll jumping when selecting components/media
    • Fix an issue that crashed the companion on Android 4.x
    • Fix an issue that prevented apps from being deleted from trash if they had been previously published to the gallery
3 Likes

confirmed okay

Confirmed okay

Great! I actually couldn't delete my app because of this problem... Good thing it's fixed!

Hi,
May I know from when nb184 is going to be live ? We are almost nearing august. In the "About App Inventor" it still shows nb183c.

PK

"By August 3, 2020, new apps must target at least Android 10 (API level 29). By November 2, 2020, all apps that are being updated must target at least Android 10 (API level 29)."

I've tried the testing environment. I am not sure if I can build an APK and upload it to PlayStore from the mentioned test link. However I tried it and got the following error.

What I inferred is that the app should be built after nb184 will be live. Please correct me if I am wrong.

PK

Take the hint, your app has overstayed its welcome and must escape to safety.

Export the .aia file from the test server, and reload it into the production server.

If you did not add new component types, you should be okay to build from the production server.

We are planning for the release to go live Thursday night US Eastern time.

2 Likes

Export the keystore from http://ai2.appinventor.mit.edu/ and import it into ai2-test server and try again.

It worked. Thank you :slight_smile:

I found this little bug:

It only happens when switching to external inputs.

Thanks for the report, @Italo.

Edit: A fix has been reviewed and will be in the bugfix release:

1 Like

Revoke the new relaease now and only provide it if its running without corrupting previously written APKs.
Never change a running timer and above all don't bring it fall with nice to haves.