School room app

I want to make a app that can detect what room to go to based on student's schedule

1 Like

This sounds like a great app idea
Did you already search the community for similar projects?

In case you have specific questions, let us know
Are you already familiar with the basics?

A very good way to learn App Inventor is to read the free Inventor's Manual here in the AI2 free online eBook App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps ... the links are at the bottom of the Web page. The book 'teaches' users how to program with AI2 blocks.
There is a free programming course here Course In A Box and the aia files for the projects in the book are here: App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps
How to do a lot of basic things with App Inventor are described here: How do you...? .

Also do the tutorials Our Tutorials! to learn the basics of App Inventor, then try something and follow the Top 5 Tips: How to learn App Inventor

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

Yes i already searched the community for similar projects but i didn't find anything related.

Taifun

In a building, on a school campus?

What information is in the student's schedule? Day of week, class time, room or building perhaps?

Where will the schedule be stored? On a TinyDB on the Android or an online database? Where does the schedule come from? A sheet of paper or a spreadsheet created by the student?

What I am trying to understand is how you think your Project should work and what tools might be required to achieve your goal.

Have you coded anything yet?

Ay possible way to schedule classes (from the MIT Gallery) MIT App Inventor Gallery

For info on schedule I mean that the only thing I need is the room. Schedules in my district can be accessed online and on a sheet of paper. i'm not sure where to store it. I haven't coded anything yet that's why I'm asking here. I wanna make a project that detects how much distance you have from a room/class. I want it based on what room you want to go to not which building.

1 Like

Do you have a floor plan of the building? Is this a multi-story building? How many rooms are there? Why ask these questions? Because if you don't have this information, you can't build an app to calculate distance from any one room to another. You probably have to create a table of distances from one location to another. There isn't a tool that can find out how far room 101 is from 201 for example, you have to know the distance is 300 feet or so between those two rooms.

You already have a problem with completing your Project unless you create a distance matrix manually showing how far one room is from another I believe.
The idea of the program is very interesting but impossible to implement unless you have some basic information.

Someone else might have another suggestion.

I have the pdf of the building, and if that does not work I can ask one of the APs in my campus. It is a multi story building. I wanted to try gps but I doubt that will work since there is almost no windows which means low signal.

True, gps could work if you knew the coordinates of each room,. The problem is that any calculation between the coordinates between two room is limited to straight line distance. Few windows also makes gps navigation nearly impossible as you pointed out. Multi-story makes gps impossible; two or three levels with 'same' coordinates.

A distance matrix between rooms could be created if your pdf is distances can be scaled between rooms

An example:

Room 101 102 103
101___ 0
102______ 0
103__________0

Fill in distances between 101-102, 102-103 etc. and you get the idea. So you know what the distance between any two rooms from the table. A second floor adds a layer of complexity depending on how far apart the stairs/elevator might be.

There probably is a way of representing this mathematically.

We have a mathematician guy (@ABG ) who might be able to help or come up with a better way of representing the matrix.

1 Like

This looks like a job for Dijkstra's Algorithm.

To minimize the number of combinations of (from,to,time) you could create a graph (nodes and edges) for locations on campus and paths between locations marked with time estimates.

Nodes would be:

• Entrances and exits to buildings
  • rooms in buildings
  • ends of campus walkways
  • stairway landings in buildings

Edges would be

• (room number, closest stairway landing, travel time)
  • (room number, closest entrance or exit, travel time)
  • (stairway landing, closest entrance/exit, travel time)
  • (entrance/exit, campus walkway location, travel time)
  • (campus walkway location, other campus walkway location, travel time.)
1 Like

Should i use map component for this. And if so how would i code the algorithm.

I doubt the map component would help you for this for interiors.

The algorithm is famous.

You would have to learn lists to code the algorithm.

I think you would be better off to provide a table of distances from room to room. Actually measure and provide the distances between all the rooms (like an old paper map distance table).

The Map component will not really help you here. If you need a graphic you could place an image of the floor layout in the Canvas.Background.

That makes the graph smaller, but does not change the structure of the problem.

P.S. If still interested, see

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.