Is there any way to implement Place Types in App Inventor?

Is there any way to implement Place Type API (or any similar) in MIT App Inventor?

I need it to make one of my projects where I want to show the closest theaters to my location.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry nothing using Place Type (whatever that is). Here is a way to show the closest theaters using an intent through ActivityStarter. This example finds restaurants. Substitute theater for restaurant and you might have the app you want. I think you can also do ?q=theaters near me in the DataUri join. Yes, you need a WIFI or network Internet connection on your device.

or you can find a school

or almost anything you could desire by changing the search word. The app uses the ActivityStarter to activate Google search.

Does that work for you Marcos?

Regards,
Steve

2 Likes

Thank you so much Steve! That’s absolutely what I was searching for :slight_smile:

The last thing is that if its possible to not show the item (theaters or restaurants) in the search bar. If it could just search it but not showing it at the top, basically.

If not, there’s no problem, you already saved me Steve!

…just posted the code for using the LocationSensor instead of a specific location. What you see is what it can do Marcos. If you type theater in the Blocks, the AS places it in the search bar

Okay, so as I understand, if you disable the block (like with “restaurants”) it doesn’t search it, right?

My idea was to, for example, search for a city and the map will show you the theaters in there. And so “theaters” is needed to be shown, right?

Well, thanks Steve! You really saved my project :wink: Wish you the best.

Hmm. Both of these work. Either Houston Texas pet shelter or using a TextBox with a city and key word works. Didn’t know that. :slight_smile:

So, you can “My idea was to, for example, search for a city and the map will show you the theaters in there.”

1 Like

Thanks again, that’s exactly what I was searching for. ºwº

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.