BLE Connection Issue

Hi Chris,

Even after improving the location service's accuracy and ensuring that my device's location is switched on, I still obtain the same results.

Can you test whether my Arduino code and App design can make a proper connection using your device? The fact that I'm also having trouble connecting using the BLE_RECEIVE_STRINGS project tells me that perhaps the Android device I'm currently using is causing the problem. You can find both the App and Arduino files in the previous posts of this thread.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the BLE extension is incompatible with the iOS version of the App, correct?

Hi Yali - that can't be so if the nrf App works? Could you check with nrf again?

That is true. Apple do not permit extensions in the way we have them on Android.

Hi Chris,

It still works with the nRF Connect app, so I guess you're right, unless the MIT App is not compatible with my device's Bluetooth version.

What else could the problem be? You are able to make the connection using the BLE_RECEIVE_STRINGS project, right? If so, it must be a localized issue, but I'm not quite sure what.

That's a basic file I made and many people have used it successfully. You do have to change the UUIDs to your own, and it requires a String Characteristic of course, not a Float.

What if you remove the name of the device from your Sketch so that only the MAC address is displayed in the device list? Not sure but maybe the name length has a limit (really clutching at straws here).

The other item of interest is Location. It's clear that the nrf App can set that automatically. Your manual setting may not be quiet right - with the App running, go to the phone settings and check to see if the App is on the Location Permitted List (the title of this list will no doubt be different on your phone).

One final thought - you are building and installing an APK right?

Here is a slightly updated version of my basic Project - updates not tested. The App, having confirmed Bluetooth is switched on, should open the Location Screen for the User to switch Location on. Give it a try.

BLE_RECEIVE_STRINGS.aia (195.7 KB)

I should note that it will not work with all phones, especially those where the manufacturer has a highly customised OS.

Hi Chris,

I removed the line of code that sets the device's name, but it stills displays the previously set name, even though I uploaded a new Arduino file to the Nano33. To fix this, I set the name to be two letters long to ensure the length does not reach the limit. I also made sure that the App is given location permissions. However, still no luck.

Yes, I am installing an APK by building the QR code and scanning the code with my device's camera. I tried to use the updated version of your project, but I am stuck in the Location screen.

Hmm, if Activity Starter got you to the Location Screen, you should be able to switch Location on and dismiss the screen - but I know this just doesn't happen on all phones. If you have access to a different phone, that would certainly be worth testing.