What is *your* opinion about helper blocks in App Inventor? (GSoC Project - User Feedback)

To get to the assets blocks

I have to choose one of the components in my project and get it there. Would it be possible to generate this block if I drag and drop one of the files from the media pane?

7 Likes

@Peter, that's certainly an interesting idea. In theory it's possible but it will take a bit of work to make it happen.

7 Likes

Hi Peter! Thanks for the suggestion, I think it sounds like a cool idea! As such, I filed an issue to track it. If you have any further things you'd like to add, feel free to leave a comment there.

7 Likes

can we actually do something like this if we wanna make our own?

3 Likes

If you follow Beka's link above to her final GSOC writeup there is a link from that page about how to add your own helper blocks for components (which should include extensions). Note that while her work has been merged into ucr, it won't be publicly available in the production version of App Inventor until sometime mid-July when our next release goes out.

3 Likes

Yep! Like Evan said, this should work with extensions. I tested it before putting up the PR, so unless something in App Inventor has changed since then it should be good. Extension compatibility was one of the priorities for the project =)

Here is the documentation for adding helper blocks (all kinds) to your component. And here is the document specifically for static dropdown blocks (which are a bit more involved hehe). Best of luck! If you have further questions about it feel free to message me or post a new message in the extension developer category :smiley:

Oh and if you make somethig cool with it, send me a link once the helper blocks are in the production version of App Inventor! I'd love to see what people make :smiley:

Best,
--Beka

5 Likes

the main thing is where is the OptionList and Default annotation inside common

Hmmm I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but the files live here. Currenlty they're only on the ucr branch though, not master =)

3 Likes

I absolutely like that this was able to merged *:kissing_heart:šŸ¤Œ*, can't wait to add it to my extensions!

4 Likes

also @BeksOmega for making extension what we need to import for IDropdown Interface?

1. It doesn't work yet, works after nb187 update.
  2. Here is the documentation, don't ask for anything that is already described ...

i just wanna know what to import for IDropdown interface if you can find it in docs then pls show it

I am not sure but there could be an annotation same like methods and events

i saw the code but i did not saw?

In the final implementation IDropdown was renamed to OptionList<>. You can use it as specified here:

import com.google.appinventor.components.common.OptionList;

public enum Animal implements OptionList<String> {
  // Enum values etc...
}

Best wishes =)
Beka

1 Like

thanks @BeksOmega

when i used your code to make extension i got error -

[javac] An annotation processor threw an uncaught exception.
    [javac] Consult the following stack trace for details.
    [javac] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: OptionList Class: com.aktech.test.Animal is not available. Make sure that it is available to the compiler.
    [javac]     at com.google.appinventor.components.scripts.ComponentProcessor.tryAddOptionList(ComponentProcessor.java:1923)
    [javac]     at com.google.appinventor.components.scripts.ComponentProcessor.optionListToHelperKey(ComponentProcessor.java:1898)
    [javac]     at com.google.appinventor.components.scripts.ComponentProcessor.hasOptionListHelper(ComponentProcessor.java:1865)
    [javac]     at com.google.appinventor.components.scripts.ComponentProcessor.elementToHelperKey(ComponentProcessor.java:1823)
    [javac]     at com.google.appinventor.components.scripts.ComponentProcessor.varElemToParameter(ComponentProcessor.java:2075)
    [javac]     at com.google.appinventor.components.scripts.ComponentProcessor.processMethods(ComponentProcessor.java:2524)
    [javac]     at com.google.appinventor.components.scripts.ComponentProcessor.processComponent(ComponentProcessor.java:1709)
    [javac]     at com.google.appinventor.components.scripts.ComponentProcessor.process(ComponentProcessor.java:1417)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.processing.JavacProcessingEnvironment.callProcessor(JavacProcessingEnvironment.java:794)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.processing.JavacProcessingEnvironment.discoverAndRunProcs(JavacProcessingEnvironment.java:705)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.processing.JavacProcessingEnvironment.access$1800(JavacProcessingEnvironment.java:91)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.processing.JavacProcessingEnvironment$Round.run(JavacProcessingEnvironment.java:1035)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.processing.JavacProcessingEnvironment.doProcessing(JavacProcessingEnvironment.java:1176)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.processAnnotations(JavaCompiler.java:1170)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler.compile(JavaCompiler.java:856)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:523)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:381)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:370)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.main.Main.compile(Main.java:361)
    [javac]     at com.sun.tools.javac.Main.compile(Main.java:56)
    [javac]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    [javac]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    [javac]     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    [javac]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.compilers.Javac13.execute(Javac13.java:57)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.compile(Javac.java:1388)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac.execute(Javac.java:1117)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:292)
    [javac]     at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor4.invoke(Unknown Source)
    [javac]     at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:99)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:350)
    [javac]     at java.util.Vector.forEach(Vector.java:1277)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Sequential.execute(Sequential.java:67)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:292)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:99)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.MacroInstance.execute(MacroInstance.java:391)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:449)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:470)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1401)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.SingleCheckExecutor.executeTargets(SingleCheckExecutor.java:36)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1264)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:437)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:449)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:470)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeSortedTargets(Project.java:1401)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1374)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.helper.DefaultExecutor.executeTargets(DefaultExecutor.java:41)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1264)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:827)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:223)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:284)
    [javac]     at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:101)

BUILD FAILED
C:\AppinventorShadowBlock\appinventor-sources-ucr\appinventor\build.xml:46: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\AppinventorShadowBlock\appinventor-sources-ucr\appinventor\components\build.xml:217: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\AppinventorShadowBlock\appinventor-sources-ucr\appinventor\build-common.xml:125: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

I'm sorry man, I'm quite busy with other projects at the moment and I'm not set up for App Inventor development right now :confused: If you start a new thread with info about what you're doing and that stack trace I'm sure someone more active can help you out =)

Sorry I can't be more help :confused: Best of luck on your project!
--Beka

2 Likes

Do your sources even have the code of her pr ? U will need to manually add it for now as I think it is not yet merged with master

i am using her sources only