Testers Wanted: Google Sheets component

(Updated April 8 2022)

We have updated the unreleased Google Sheets component from 2020, developed by @Tommy_Heng.

It is available on a test server here: http://sheets.srlane-test.uc.r.appspot.com

The Companion to use is here: MITAI2Companion-full.apk - Google Drive

Emulator Companion: Emulator.apk - Google Drive

It should behave the same as his explanation here: Built In Google Sheets Component for App Inventor

However, note that the exact setup process for connecting to a personally-owned sheet has changed due to changes on Google's end. Our setup documentation has been updated. You can find it here: Google Sheets API Setup

We would appreciate feedback from anyone who can try it out. We're hoping to release soon.

6 Likes

When I insert the GoogleSheets component into the Designer screen, all the components in MIT Companion screen (v. 2.62) disappear.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes: you are so fussy Juan :joy:

7 Likes

there should be a companion download link under Help, and there isn't. i will fix that asap.

2 Likes

I added the Companion for download in the original post. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

If anyone is testing, please pause. I accidentally loaded the wrong build. I'll comment when it's fixed.

3 Likes

This should be fixed now.

4 Likes

1.- Test 1

There are errors when there are empty intermediate cells.

With colNumber:1 it doesn't work, because there are empty intermediate cells in this column.
With colNumber:2 it does work.

2.- Test 2

sheet33

Don't add the value to row 6, it adds it to row 3 because it is the first one that is empty.

3.- Test 3

sheet44

Got this errror:

sheet55

4.- Test 4

Got
[["This is cell A1"],[""],["Célula A5"]]

I think you should get the following, since there are three empty cells in that column:

[["This is cell A1"],[""],[""],[""],["Célula A5"]]

5 Likes

Thanks. This is very useful.

1 Like

I have updated the original post with a new companion. The bugs you reported should be fixed.

I received a request for access to the companion file, but the security settings should allow anyone with the link to download it. were you able to download the companion?

I was able to get and install the new MITAI2Companion-full.apk (2022/01/26)

Check my previous post.

1.- Test 1

ReadCol.conNumber
now it works, i can get a column with empty middle cells.

2.- Test 2
AddRow. make a list: This is a row

when I click several times I get new rows, but why do I get "This is a row" in the third column?. I think it should be in the first column.

3.- Test 3

AddCol make a list: New Column

The error continues:
AddCol: 400 Bad Request
"INVALID_ARGUMENT"

4.- Test 4

ReadWithQuery gridId0 query select A
The error continues:
I get
[["This is cell A1"],[""],["Célula A5"]]
I must get
[["This is cell A1"],[""],[""],[""],["Célula A5"]]

i think ReadWithQuery must have the same bug with empty cells, and I missed fixing it. My tests against AddRow and AddCol worked as I expected. Google's API is complex, though.

You're using the same blocks you shared above? I'll work with those.

Is there an Emulator.apk companion available, for x86 emulators (like genymotion) ?

Yes. I'll make that available.

Emulator companion is now up for download.

1 Like
  • AddCol

• AddRow

Unfortunately it will not load a project
I tried a restart.

readsheet

With ReadSheet, I was expecting a valid Json, but I'm having problems with empty cells.

I get

["A1"],["B1"],["C1"],["D1"],["E1"]
[""],["B2"],["C2"],["D2"],["E2"]
[]
[""],["B4"],[""],["D4"],["E4"]
[""],["B5"],["C5"],["D5"]

I expected to get.

["A1"],["B1"],["C1"],["D1"],["E1"]
[""],["B2"],["C2"],["D2"],["E2"]
[""],[""],[""],[""],[""]
[""],["B4"],[""],["D4"],["E4"]
[""],["B5"],["C5"],["D5"],[""]

In the middle row 3, when all cells are empty, it expected to get.
[""],[""],[""],[""],[""]

In row 5, when cell E5 (it is the last of the row) is empty, it should get [""].

1 Like