September 2020 Online Global Developer Meetup

Hello open source contributors,

We’ll be holding our next online global developer meetup on September 10, 2020 at 12pm EDT (4pm UTC). This meeting will be held by Zoom, details below.

The agenda for this meetup will be:

• Google Summer of Code Presentations
  • iOS Status Update
  • File Permissions in Android SDK 29+

Cheers,

Evan W. Patton, Ph.D.
Lead software engineer, MIT App Inventor

Call in details:

Evan Patton is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: App Inventor Global Developer Meetup
Time: Sep 10, 2020 12:00 Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

One tap mobile
+16465588656,,95601200091# US (New York)
+16699006833,,95601200091# US (San Jose)

Meeting ID: 956 0120 0091

US : +1 646 558 8656 or +1 669 900 6833

International Numbers: https://mit.zoom.us/u/abUI9pP5w7

Join by SIP
95601200091@zoomcrc.com

Join by Skype for Business

14 Likes

Hello everyone,

The recording of the meetup is available here:

The test server with all of the features is available at http://gsoc2020.ai2-ewpatton-temp.appspot.com

@BeksOmega @Diego @Himani @jsuyash1514 @pavi2410 @sara_singhal, if you have any documentation you want to share with developers, please include it here.

Cheers,
Evan

11 Likes

Thanks for hosting the meeting today Evan!

Here are the 3 documents I wrote explaining to developers (not users) how to use the new system.

The Adding New Types of Helper Blocks to the Blocks Editor document explains to App Inventor sources developers how to add new kinds of helper blocks (like the dropdown blocks) to the editor, using the Helper Blocks system I designed.

The Adding Helper Blocks to a Component document explains to component and extension developers how to add helper blocks to their components. This will act as a living document that gets updated whenever a new kind of helper block is created.

And lastly the How to Add a Dropdown Block to a Component document explains to component and extension developers how to define their own dropdown blocks in more detail.

9 Likes

It was a great meetup with all the GSOC projects shown. Is there a timeline when you want to see all of this in the production version?

4 Likes

The current aim is to get everything merged by the end of the calendar year. Some pieces might come sooner than others depending on complexity of the project, remaining TODOs, and staff availability given we're also pushing hard on the iOS version right now.

4 Likes

How to join in this meetings?
I want to join in these meetups

What's the test server for?

Keep an eye on the open source group. I'll post announcements for these a few weeks in advance and the link the day before.

The test server includes all of the functionality demoed in the meeting. Watch the YouTube recording for more details.

2 Likes

Thank you @ewpatton :smile:

I will surely do that
But please adjust the timings as in India🇮🇳 it's night when it's day in USA🇺🇸

It's better if the timings are 11am EDT or 10am EDT

Refer this video (36:00 onwards). I am not getting the MenuItems and Pop up Menus blocks. Is that an extension or is it a different version of App Inventor being used ???

The MenuItem component is under the User Interface category and the ContextMenu and PopupMenu components are in the Layout category. If you want to access the three dot menu, switch the Theme on Screen1 to something other than Classic and then click on the three dot menu to show its contents.

Been trying all of that
But I dont have these options !!!

You have to use the test server linked in the post. These features aren't in production yet.

Awe Ok ! Tx for ur response !

Tested the test server. Thank you. Will wait for the formal release of these components on the main server. Kindly look at including Google Maps in addition to OpenStreetMaps, and Google Sheets Extension too.

Hoo.. the new components added are :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand: