Password Vault App (Testers wanted)

Hello,
I never liked the idea of password apps that are connected to internet databases so I though I would make an app that stores your passwords offline on your device. I also set it up with profiles for different peoples information or just to organize your passwords better.

The App also features a search function so it is quicker to find the information you want instead of scrolling through long lists.

I have set the app to encrypt all the data that is stored on it through 2 layers of encryption the later using the users password for the app as part of an encryption key, so that the encryption is different for everyone who downloads the app.

App design is still in progress but I am interested in feedback, testing for bugs and most importantly I am interested in how secure the app data actually is or how to improve security.

App Does Not Work Well In Companion mode
This is because of the generated components in the app and security functions between screens in the app. Also fingerprint scanner wont work in companion
Because of encryption change users that have the app already will need to delete app data and re enter it all

Thanks to the developers that made the extensions I used:
@Patryk_F - Keyboard - additional methods for the keyboard
@Ken - FingerprintSensor Extension
@Anke - Extension - Activity Lifecycle of an app (onPause → onStop → onResume)

3 Likes

The app is good. I haven't seen any bugs yet.

Thanks, I have made a few updates since posting as I found a couple of bugs, such as the list not sorting itself properly. I am working on adding a few more features to improve the security between the screens and changing the keyboard inputs to connect. Will update the .aia within the next week.

Been updated with a few fixes

• runs very slowly and is a bit clunky in companion mode
  • you should provide the user with more feedback (notifiers/labels) to advise on what is happening. These could perhaps be turned off in the settings for seasoned users
  • user/pass information may not just be for websites or apps, and some online systems require more than just a user/pass, but other forms of ID, ability to add notes e.g. if two factor auth in place ...
  • I got a runtime error from the fingerprint sensor on second run (I didn't user it to login/signup)
  • you need to give credit to the developers whose extensions you use
  • well done for using blocks to build the cryptography, you may have found it much easier to use the existing extensions for this, or to use the javascript cryptojs model
1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to look at it. I have never had the problem with it running slowly so will look into that. Also not sure what would of caused the fingerprint scanner issue, it doesn't work in companion mode but haven't seen issues with it on my end yet.

I agree, instead of adding more notifiers/labels maybe I will add a how to use section on first use then it can be accessed through the settings page?

I have a bit for notes in the works just haven't got round to adding it In yet.

Will add credits for extentions tomorrow. Thanks for reminder

I wasn't aware there was an extention for this :sweat_smile:, was a good learning experience though.

Updated to V3

Updated App to change encryption type so each users encryption is even more unique. On the apps first start up (Which will be a bit slower than normal) a 256 bit randomly generated encryption key is created which will be later combined with an alternatively encrypted version or your login password/pin to create a stronger key. Because of encryption change users that have the app already will need to delete app data and re enter it all

Another change was to implement an additional textbox to enter other important information other than username and passwords (@TIMAI2 's suggestion ).

Other changes is there is now a question mark on the bottom right of the screen that contains useful information and informs users how to use the app. Also small changes to display so that textboxes are not blocked by the onscreen keyboard.

App Does Not Work Well In Companion mode
This is because of the generated components in the app and security functions between screens in the app. Also fingerprint scanner wont work in companion mode.

1 Like