MIT App Inventor and 100+ esp32, how could I do this?!

No, is not ok to have the entire cell clickable, On the part that now is the puzzle piece it will be sensitive to touch/clickable components like sliders and so on. It is mandatory to limit the clickable function on a cell.

As I say... The Ideas about how can be made came over time with the new discovering... 27"/4K hardware for example completely changed the layout logic/possibilities. I hope that will be no changes on that... I hope that I don't discover that 55"/8K will make any sense here... I'm joking @Jonathan_Urbina1 .

Thank you very much, now I'll try all suggestions.

It works like a dream. I was stuck on the "select item list". Like an ant heard that rotates in a circle until all are dead, like a snake that is biting his tail. This is a clear example of the huge culture that you here have on AI2 vs my... logic.

Thank you very much.

PS - Now... I must invert the order of those ID's... ID-1 must be in the left-bottom corner and ID-128 must be in the right-up corner... But this is in the second plan... because I need to research how can I do it...

You're absolutely right. You perfectly understand the logic that I want to follow.

we won't go there :wink:

Generate the list of cells as in my example. Cell1 = index 1 = top-left.

You then need to generate a new list that corresponds to the cells. It is the indexes that are important, the values for each component will change everytime you refresh/initialise the layout

Cell1 = index 113
Cell113 = index 1
Cell128 = index 16

( I will let you work this out)

You will have to do this each time you generate the layout (on initialise)

S_temp_sens1

An example, of one of the multiple possibilities that a cell can have. This particularly is thought for an example.

An engine can have a lot of sensors, a lot of communication buses, a lot of commands outputs a lot of everything. So... The types/functions on every cell... It's huge.

Every function will be automated and set by information from hardware, and if a function doesn't already exist, it will be settled/generated and saved manually.

In this example, you'll see the slider that can be touched to change the values, so the button as the touch part is mandatory. On another function type... it will be another part touch sensitive from the cell.

Please believe me that will be the last thing that I will work on... just until go to BoraBora... This is the last important thing on that project!!!

And for understanding purposes... From the best practice point of view... Never, ever a software project that I'll make... Will be sold!!! Never... ever. This app is only a sketch... to serve real professionals as a starting point.

Are your cells going to be big enough to be able to select individual components within from a "fat finger" ?

It would make more sense to popup a larger version of the cell from a click on the cell to be able to access the "working parts"...

1 Like

From the start of this project, the first two important concerns that I had were the ergonomy of the eyes (readability) and the accessibility of the cells for touch. As I already mentioned, I have only 10% of the skills/sense that I had before 2019 in my hands. So... all the tests I do myself. Before my accident, I write with 10 fingers, now with two, I change the mouse from right to left hand. My hands were destroyed after 6 operations on both hands, 4 titanium plates, my spinal cord was touched by a C3 vertebra that exploded... and so on... I'm the perfect lab rat to test those things. :frowning_face:

Above all... was invented those things...

One is from 13"/3K and another from 27"/4K. So... No problem is there.

The popup (and on this occasion, I will ask something about the popup) will be from the button in the case that there must be something set or exists some "hidden" information that can't be displayed on the main screen. The popup will catch the entire attention of the user (the main screen will be on the second plan).

So... The best practice to pop up something? Not the notifier. Something like a new screen (which is ideal from many points of view), some hidden arrangements... I have no idea, Your Idea is more than welcome.

On the new screen, I read about this that is very unstable with communications, Bluetooth, wifi, local/global variables, and so on.

What do you recommend to me and how? From buttons that any cell has.

Now I have the buttons... Very ugly, I don't understand why I don't have the image on them. But it has the second less importance.

USLayout_2.aia (85.0 KB)

Thank you, Dan

That's usually the way to go with apps that don't want to break connections.

That approach I use it on my other "old" project here in this community, the project with the charts/graphs and with the timers...

My concern is if I will have... 10 or 20 hidden arrangements... Can be supportable but if I have 50 or 100 (I don't know a number) it will be a pain/nightmare. I must find a method to limit/reuse those arrangements or parts from them.

As every arrangement will do some particular functions... I must see how can I group more functions in one arrangement.

Thank you, Dan

Arrangements can be nested. For a popup, you would want to set the outermost Arrangement invisible. That covers all the internal Arrangements.

I already know that. The next step now, that already I have the dynamic default inactive layout, is the menu bars, and after that, I will try to show some "populated/active" cells among some connected popups.

My target for this week is to make something that can illustrate as closely as possible my ideas about this project. After that... I hope that a team bigger than Google team will start to work on a project a little less big than... Google. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'm joking.

Anyway... When it's speaking about programming, I'm an useless guy, so... time is lost. But... to understand the goals of this program for me and you, it's a time very well invested. :wink:

After that I have an idea about how and what, I'll make some pictures of how it must look and another of how it must work. We will see who will make those pictures... functional.

Many thanks again, Dan

I would propose a dialog extension for the popup, where you can create a facsimile of the cell (with additions as required), but much larger. This will not require another screen or break into the existing display, it will overlay. This was my thinking for the return of the cell click selection (I just showed the cell id as an example).

There are several of these dialog extensions, I will dig out the "best" one and apply it to my example aia.

If you remember, when I started those threads with this project, the first that I asked for, was a puzzle-like layout possibilities. The inspiration was AI2 GUI.

In AI2 you have an empty, white screen. Populate them with puzzle-like pieces you can make miracles on software. This is the idea behind my project, populate 128 cels with puzzle-like pieces, I want to make miracles on 128 hardware wires. So simple.

As @Jonathan_Urbina1 says above, how I will populate 128 esp32 labels?! It is not interesting the medium labels (esp32 labels), what is interesting is that the software cell number 76 on the touch app, will do some miracle on the 76 cell number on the hardware. Nothing more.

It is not important if I use 128 X esp32, or if I use one esp32 and I2C, SPI, or UART splitter busses on 128 hardware cells. The only important is the result. How will be made... that thing is written in a chapter of a book that I haven't read at this moment.

The software and hardware will be completely separate, it will be using a custom SCPI language.

We are now developing, in fact, a different somehow AI2 interface and functionalities that address the automation universe. @Jonathan_Urbina1 - Yeeeees... is an industrial automation application...

More clear than that, in public I can't be. I don't know if I can invite people in private... because many of you can help with many things. But... I don't want to be banned for some stupid mistakes.

By the way... at one moment... I think that the entire app can be developed with only extensions in his basement.

For that and another million reasons... I ask the real professionals.

I will accept that as an insult then and stop helping.

Insult?! What insult?! Can be a misunderstanding... Insult on no case.

How can be treated as insulting the fact that I was inspired by one of the best applications that I see in my life?! That was a mistake?!

I don't want to make another AI2!!! I want to use the puzzle principle the first time I see it on AI2 and after that on many other applications...

What is an insult on what I write?!

As I said before, It can be a simple misunderstanding. In the last two hours, I read the entire thread 20 times.

I'm not here to insult anybody, I'm not here to sell something, I'm not here to make publicity at something, I'm not here to make anything improper in a civilized community.

Even though I was interpellated on some threads in an accused manner, I tried to argue in a civilized, correct manner. Here we are not joyning to be furious, angry and so on. All were only misunderstandings from a language barrier point of view.

As I write very badly with my hands, I have Grammarly installed to correct my writing. I write in three different languages and none are perfect. I make all efforts to understand what I write and what I read.

The only part of this thread that from a misunderstanding point of view can be discussed is next:

What I write, I write from an inoffensive joke point of view because I was relaxed and happy after almost 3 nights and days of breaking my head with the .aia. I'll never go to BoraBora, I have my personal BoraBora 300 meters from here (The Cantabric Sea and the Cathedrals Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world).

Before I reply with, insist, inoffensive joke (some black humor at my address), I remember your above specification, "We are for the moment at the layout stage". With this joke I want to rest the importance of that part (as you advised above) and center in the most important parts of the layout.

So please, do not understand that I rest the importance of the work of nobody, more than that, to your work, you help me in this thread more than anyone else. I understand the fact, that time = money, and somebody that helps here, even with the smallest constructive idea, must be thanked not insulted.

So... far away from me lose the respect for anybody here. Even when somebody posts some nonsense, I ask politely if somebody can delete that post, and it was deleted.

So... If that was the cause of what you interpret as an insult, I can tell you that you're the last man in the world that I will think to insult. No sir, it was an inoffensive joke, noting more.

The second variant is that you post your anger on the wrong thread, I mean, someone makes you furious and replies on this thread. That possibility exists and the errors are just as humans as we are.

Anyway, I apologize for what you misunderstood. Was not my intention. No more jokes.

Thank you, Dan