We're happy to announce (a little bit late) MIT App Inventor has been accepted for Google Summer of Code 2023.
Contributors can begin to submit proposals on March 20. I'll post links to our application process then.
This year as last year, Google is funding 350-hour and 175-hour projects. We're accepting proposals for either size, but we've actually had better luck with 175-hour projects. So remember that larger isn't necessarily better.
In addition to the quality of your proposal, you'll need to demonstrate familiarity with App Inventor. The best way to do that is to have some contributions to link to as part of your application.
This year, in addition to our usual Java and Android projects, we are open sourcing] our iOS Companion. There is a ton of work to be done on the iOS side to add features that currently only exist on the Android side. That process isn't complete yet, but I'll post on the forums when it's ready. We know time is getting tight.
To get started with App Inventor, we recommend that you review the following documents and get your environment set up correctly.
- GitHub Readme: https://github.com/mit-cml/appinventor-sources
- Contributing to the MIT App Inventor Sources: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZJlh5-U-eLAxXTvK2QxIrJklC3EjZgsavbIFe4FhxyA/edit#heading=h.57b2hufh8hwc
- How to build App Inventor from the MIT sources: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xc9yt02x3BRoq5m1PJHBr81OOv69rEBy8LVG_84j9jc/edit
- How to add a property: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ukpZXcd0fIn1fV0cNp4J00wrfwwA1daswU1yY6dqqfs/edit
- How to add a component: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xk9dMfczvjbbwD-wMsr-ffqkTlE3ga0ocCE1KOb2wvw/edit
We have a set of issues labeled "Help Wanted": https://github.com/mit-cml/appinventor-sources/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A"help+wanted" . This is the best place to find ways to contribute.
We will update this topic with more information as we have it.
Please do not reply to this topic with questions. Instead, start a new topic with your specific question.
Susan Rati Lane
Software Engineer, MIT App Inventor