How do you store PDFs?

Hello There!
I wanted to know if it is possible to store and retrieve PDFs online using App Inventor?

You want to read/download PDF from internet or view it in app?

I want store PDFs in DB and then read it using FILE Component. I already know how to open but I need help retrieving it.

1 Like

You Must Use Firebase Storage To Upload PDF or Other Files :

Extension :
https://community.thunkable.com/t/free-firebasestorage-extension-v2-0-new-version/8544

Do they have to be stored in a database? When you say "online" that could mean anything - on your own web server? on a 3rd Party Cloud?

This is not true, there are many many different online storage solutions

ohh yeah, i'm so sorry i forgot

They need to be stored in DB.

Hello Mayank

Could you please give better information about your requirement.

Try converting file to bytes then to decimal base, after that you can convert decimal to byte again & store it, I have tried experimenting with PDF file, it can be stored as text too..

I will try to post the answer soon. :grinning:

Edit : I am busy :sweat_smile:

Summary

Really

All I want to do is upload a PDF on a DataBase like Firebase or CloudDB and then download that PDF that is uploaded using another device and view it suing the SHARING component.

OK, so that implies that you will not host on your own web server (but that option could be considered).

My colleague TimAI2 is the expert on all things Firebase and he has detailed information on his website, under 'Guides':
https://sites.google.com/view/metricrat-ai2/home

Hello, could you please tell me when will you be done because I need to do that for an app I am currently working on.

well, actually not
you could store the pdf files on your web server and store the links to the uploaded files in an online database, for example MySQL

how to access MySQL App Inventor Tutorials and Examples: MySQL | Pura Vida Apps
how to download a file App Inventor Tutorials and Examples: File Download | Pura Vida Apps

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

BTW would it be better to use a Google Drive Link? But still Thanks A Lot.

Dear @Mayank_Kumar,

You can store and retrieve any file using Google Drive and Google App Script with App Inventor Web component.

any file with "public" / "anyone with the link" permissions....

Yes, you are right.

In fact, I am not sure you can "upload" without using base64 encoding and a web app script run by the google account holder....