Has anyone else has had or does have the error that assets can not be loaded?

It can be corrupted during the upload. Currently, AI2Offline (which is a 3rd Party program based on the Open Source, MIT does not oversee it) is proving reliable but there have been times in the past where none of the Offline efforts could be 100% trusted as they all had niggles from time to time and that included being unable to load the Project onto the MIT Server. Plus of course, as soon as a new App Inventor version is released, the 3rd Party programs are out of date.

1 Like

Lucky me? :rofl:

I think you are just basking in the glory of your world record :joy:

https://community.appinventor.mit.edu/t/trouble-connecting-to-mit/57979/133?u=shubhamr69

It seemed as if you were talking about the base project luckily connected.

But if the case is that only that project isn't loading, then the problem is in that project.

Try making a copy of that project.

Projects -> Save Project As...

Then try deleting some files from that copy of the project.

I have mentioned that with regards to Wes's App, but it would be nice to be able to include thumbnail images in Assets for List Views and Buttons, given that isn't a problem for Android. I'm not sure but I think it was said that the issue is partly down to the Server being a Google Server, with restrictions imposed by Google.

May I share some experiences with ya'll. :slight_smile:

I have an app :slight_smile:

• aia is 2.81 Mb in size
  • assests are
    assets

1,196 html files ( this is not a mistake, it is over 1000 html files in Media)

The aia

• will not load in the main server
  • it loads in in live development with Companion, slowly but ok in the code.appinventor server
  • it compiles the apk slowly. As I recall, it takes several minutes

I have a DSL internet connection of 56 Mbps (see https://fast.com/)

1 Like

You broke Wes's World Record of 69 and some Steve! :trophy:

Wes, your mission is to get the Project working in AI2Offline, it fails because of the number of Assets (as does %ai2.appinventor.mit.edu).

What to do? What I would do is try the Project without the HTML files and if it's OK, work with the Project like that, knowing that the HTML files can be restored when you can return to the %code.appinventor.mit.edu Server.

Thank you so much for the split and the knowledge @SteveJG
As I suspected from the start its a server and speed problem. I cannot send fast enough (most of the time, there are exceptions like an hour ago) and consequently the server does not get all of the data (times out my send).

This makes good sense since there are EXCEPTIONAL times that it works fine. Those times are VERY impossible for me to get here.

If only I could get the OFFLINE to work these speed issues would be limited.

1 Like

But Chris, I repeat? A little over an hour ago it loaded into AI2 without a hitch and the companion ran just fine !! Since it will run properly when it does load properly it does not seem to me there is a need to remove files? I want VERY much for it to run in OFFLINE MIT but unfortunately it produces the same errors.

I had much trouble getting OFFLINE installed because the portable version produced the same errors so I switched to the executable version which will not run from the shortcut hmmm. I did manage to write my own exe however to fire up the executable but still the errors persist

...but if you recall what I said about the combination of things working against files with a large Asset count, you have probably loaded the Project at a very good time - next time, it might not load again.

It might be worth asking the developer of AI2Offline if there is a fixed limit to the number of Assets.

Suggestion? Many, in fact most in my time, mainframes run on time-slot OS. a slice of the pie is given to account X then it moves to account y. The more burdened the OS becomes the more narrow the time slice.

I could be entirely wrong but in my time this was the mainframe OS methods. This means there is nothing wrong with bandwidth or with MIT software. It simply means the OS cuts off during upload to take care of another request and when it returns to your upload the link breaks with the software.

How can that be done? I would love to solve this even though I am not likely to write another large app in the near future. My first app and I blew the hinges off the door ! Really?

1 Like

This problem could be easily solved if you will connect the Companion via usb, it should be noted that in the offline version an .apk with the corresponding Companion is provided.
https://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/setup-device-usb

@Wes_Savage

In answer to the question of your topic, a community search returne 34 results:

Has anyone else has had or does have the error that assets can not be loaded?

Sign-up (Login) to Source Forge and go to the AI2Offline page. There you can put your questions via the link of the developer's name - there are recent questions already.

Thank you for this reply. "Offline" was introduced to me very suddenly during this problem. For me, it was part of a storm. I will attempt, yet again, and on a USB flash drive this time.

Wes, for what it is worth, I just loaded my 2.81 Mb aia and its 1196 html files into ai2offline.
Then I built a 6.5 Mb apk . This tells me that at least 1196 html files load into Assets using ai2offline. It appears in your case, the number of Assets is not your issue.

I use an older Intel 5 laptop with Win10. It has 6 Gb RAM.

Perhaps you have a cpu issue or insufficient RAM to run ai2offline. Sorry you still have issues. They may be related to your code (which you are not sharing so we cannot help you determine that) or hardware issues. Hope you find a solution to issues related to the stand alone compiler.

2 Likes

OK I unpacked it to a flash drive and I ran:
WinStartAIServer.cmd then WinStartBuildServer.cmd and went to localhost8888

IT works but when I attempt to load an aia from my hard drive I get the following error.
What am I doing wrong?

CouldNotUpload

I also would like to ask about the executable version.
It installs itself to C:\AI2Offline but if I attempt to use the provided shortcut I get an EAccessViolation error.

If I run the executable by hand it will load my aia but will not allow companion to load the project

P.S. I meant for this to reply to Ramiro .. not sure what went wrong

Thank you Steve. RAM is an idea I had not considered and thanks for that.

I am not sure my offline is installed properly. I have doubts.
I have Win7 professional running on Intel 3.6 GHZ with 8 GB RAM

Offline does run, at least it does come up in localhost8888

BTW: Again, my code loads fine in the rare instance I can get on AI2
It also works fine all of the time on %code.appinventor.mit.edu/login/% and has been compiled and runs great on cell phone for 6 months now