[Free] ⚠ AltNotifier

1. Introduction

• Description: A simple alternative notifier extension with four methods not found in the standard notifier component for App Inventor
  • Latest Version: 1.2
  • Released: 2021-04-29T23:00:00Z
  • Last Updated: 2022-03-10T00:00:00Z
  • Tested: Android 10, 11 & 12, App Inventor, companion and compiled
  • Built: Using the Rush Extension Builder by @shreyash (great support!!)

2. Blocks

The same as the standard text entry component, but allows for the provision of a default text using the content socket. Add an empty socket for no text. When run and the dialog displays, the textbox should get focus, and the soft keyboard should be displayed.
component_method

The after input event for text entry. "Cancel" is returned if user cancels.
component_event

A notifier that provides for the input of a login name and password. When run and the dialog displays, the textbox should get focus, and the soft keyboard should be displayed.
component_method (1)
The after input event, which returns the text entered. "Cancel" is returned (for both values) if user cancels.
component_event (1)

A message notifier that generates a response (no choice!). Useful for asking a question.
component_method (2)
The after button Select event which returns the button text. "Cancel" is returned if user cancels.
component_event (2)

An input notifier for numbers only, which allows numbers, dot, comma and minus. Will display the number keyboard. Also an after input event.

3.Usage

Blocks image to demonstrate usage:

Screenshots:

4. Files

AIX: AltNotifier

JAVA: V1.0 AltNotifier.java.txt (9.0 KB)
AIA: V1.0 testNotifierExtnV1.1.aia (13.2 KB)

Enjoy! :smiley:

5. Procedure AddOn

Only for the methods in this extension, if you use this draggable procedure in your "message" socket, it will make the buttons fill the width of the notifier in Classic theme.

e.g.

(compare with previous screenshot...)

Changelog

V1.1 - minor change to proguard rules to fix error in companion
V1.2 - add numbers only dialog

Available for use in any MIT AppInventor projects or competitions

#####################################################################
This work by TIMAI2 is licensed under an
MIT Licence.
#####################################################################

27 Likes

You Are Incredible

Is that your first extension?

2 Likes

@TIMAI2 I think you forgot to change this in the QuestionAlert block
alert.setCancelable(false);
to
alert.setCancelable(cancelable);

Great extension and very well documented!

This is from the original notifier, intended to prevent a Back button escape from the notifier.

3 Likes

Oh Okay Im sorry :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Nice!! :+1: :+1:

You could add a feature to show the normal toast message showAlert block. It'll be also different :smiley:

The one in AppInventor doesn't show the actual toast, it's always square in shape.

1 Like

Have you forgotten my toast aix?

3 Likes

I'm sorry, I did not remember it.

1 Like

@TIMAI2 very useful to those of us trying to claw our way up the learning curve that you have included the text of the java file. Thank you.
Perhaps this will encourage others to do likewise when publishing their free-of-charge extensions here. I'm sure I'm not alone in preferring to learn by the study and understanding of the functioning output of others more proficient.
Jim

1 Like

@JimP

Thank you. I really should fully comment/annotate the file now :wink:

3 Likes

@TIMAI2 - Don't make it too easy for us learners... :grinning:

3 Likes

Can Content show anything like checkboxes etc..?

Any text or number will work, so you could feed it the state of a checkbox

Thanks v much @TIMAI2

UPDATE

V1.2

now includes number only dialog, and provides input for numbers, dot,comma and minus

See first post for download

4 Likes

Few days ago I looking this feature...

Thank you somuch @TIMAI2 .. :+1::+1::+1::pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2:

1 Like

Hi... @TIMAI2... Is it possible to make additional notifier block, notifier progress which include cut time? So when we set e.g : 3000ms then the notifier block will close or timeout...

Thank You... :pray: :pray:

Thanks for your interest. This is not something I can do with my extension. Perhaps @Gordon_Lu can do this with his notifier extension?

3 Likes

Looking forward to that. I will try.

2 Likes