Following a release approval : REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES issue

Hello Falks,
that's my first topic so sorry in advance for any error, just tell me the issue and i will correct it immediately ...

So i have an issue after a policy update ( 30/09/2022) : after that Google rejected my releases . the issue is the following :slight_smile:
MAIL received :slight_smile:

" App Status: Rejected

Your app has been rejected and wasn't published due to the policy issue(s) listed below. If you submitted an update, the previous version of your app is still available on Google Play.

### Issue found: Permission use is not directly related to your app's core purpose.

We found that your app is not compliant with how REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission is allowed to be used. Specifically, the use of the permission is not directly related to the core purpose of the app.

Additionally, follow these steps to bring your app into compliance:

About the Request Install Packages Permission

The REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission allows an application to request the installation of app packages. To use this permission, your app’s core functionality must include:

1. Sending or receiving app packages, AND
  2. Enabling user-initiated installation of app packages.

Permitted functionalities include any of the following:

• Web browsing or search
  • Communication services that support attachments
  • File sharing, transfer or management
  • Enterprise device management
  • Backup and restore
  • Device migration / phone transfer

The REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission may not be used to perform self updates, modifications, or the bundling of other APKs in the asset file unless for device management purposes. All updates or installing of packages must abide by Google Play’s Device and Network Abuse policy and must be initiated and driven by the user.

For more help addressing this issue, read more in our Help Center.

Action required: Submit an updated app for review

Here's what to do to help get your app on Google Play:

1. Make sure to read the applicable policies or requirements listed below:
  1. Make appropriate changes to your app (if possible), and be sure to address the issue described above. You may also want to check your app's store listing for compliance, if applicable.
  2. Double check that your app is compliant with all other Developer Program Policies.
  3. If you made changes to your app bundle, store listing, or APK, please sign in to your Play Console and submit the update(s).

Contact support

If you've reviewed the policy and feel our decision may have been in error, please reach out to our policy support team. We'll get back to you within 2 business days.

Learn More

Visit the Android Developers Blog to learn more about free tools and resources for building safe and successful apps.

Thanks for your continued support in helping to make Google Play a positive experience for both developers and consumers. We look forward to seeing an updated version of your app on Google Play.

Please complete a two question survey to help us improve this experience.

The Google Play Team "

Do you have an idea of the precise issue ? i tried several update of the app but without success ... i search some information in the net , without success ...

Thanks in advance for any idea ....

Khafrelid

The REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES permission

We do not know how you are using it, or why, nor do we know why you have this set as a core functionality of your app.

Google says:

1 Like

which extensions are you using and why?
Taifun

thanks a lot for your quick reply !
firstable, i'am not an expert user ( i'am only a mechanic professor and i try to use all the fonctionnality of appinventor in order to use it for my student in the future... i'am from france)

So, believe me ! i DO NOT know when and where i used the " [REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES] " in my apps !!!! because for me it's done automaticaly when i use the blocks ...

I'am sorry but you must ask your question precisely if you want to have some information from me !!!!

Thanks in advance for your comprehension ...

Hello Taifun,

I used some your extension and other , here a screen shot :

thanks

My guess is, one of the extensions you are using requires that permission... the question is, which one? It is none of my extensions...

A search in the community Search results for 'REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES #extensions ' - MIT App Inventor Community seems to not help?

Taifun

1 Like

None of these extensions declare this permission in the Manifest. Show all your used components.
Did you build / compile the app with AI2?

Remove the permission from the Manifest and check if it still works properly.

Hello Anke,

Yes all is done with the AI2.

"Remove the permission from the Manifest and check if it still works properly." : Sorry ! how can we do it ?

Best regards.

1 Like

Hello Falks,

Thanks for your advise.
so I followed your advise and i front of this :Jave don't want to signe !

What can ido ? i spent 2 days to find a solution without success !!!!

For information my file is around 15 Megabytes

Thanks

Are the files in that directory? It seems a bit unlikely given the working directory is for Java. You'll want to specify the paths to the different files on your computer so that the jarsigner program can find them.

Hello,

Yes i copied the files on th java directory !

thanks

Are you running the command prompt as an administrator? Usually program files would not be writable, which is likely the source of your problem. Generally, I would advise against putting these files in the Java directory and instead place and manipulate them somewhere under your user directory.

1 Like

Hello,

nice observation --> it runs now as administrator even in the programmes files ... well done .
Now i am waiting for validation ... i will keep aware all you.

hello,
a big thanks to every one.
So i followed yours help with just a little difference :
instead of adding the following line as requested "uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACTION_MANAGE_OVERLAY_PERMISSION"
"uses-permission android:name="android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW" under "uses-permission android:name="android.permission. REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES" i ERASED the "uses-permission android:name="android.permission. REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES" line in the AndroidManifest.xml files.

After sending for approbation, Google Accepted the update.

For information i used the "edit application permissions" of the APK Editor Studio tools to deactivate the "uses-permission android:name="android.permission. REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGES" line.

Thanks a lot to every one for your reactivity.

see you and best regards.

This does not answer the question, which component or extension requires that permission to work properly...

It looks you did not test your app, if it still works fine after removing the permission? I guess, you probably will find out later, in case it does not work...

Taifun

For sure Taifun , i don't know which one required this autorisation !!! but i tested the app with all functionality and it seems to be ok !!!!
other test are in progress --> i have an idea, i think there is an extension that i integrated but don't use it ! so i will delete one by one these ones and test ....

I will keep you aware.

thanks Taifun

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.