Download Multiple Files with subfolders

Yes, that is also a possibility in the app, but what if the user has not network connection or something?
Thats the reason why the files have to be downloaded, to use this app online AND offline!

This is not what I mean. Simply insert a link to your app that can be opened in an external browser. User click link, and the files will be downloaded to the download folder where it will be accessed from each file manager.

If I were you, I would create a list structure. You would display these lists in a ListView component. Clicking on a given item on the list would open the appropriate PDF. You would not need this whole directory structure then, because the user would not search for files in the phone's memory, but would look for them in your app and open with the app. The files could then be in the ASD.

Yes, but if there is no connection (can happen where i live), they can not browse and download at all :wink:

Thats exactly what is also my intension, but HOW do i get a list structure of all files inside all folders / subfolders in the ASD?

You don't need to get the directory structure. Get rid of directories, all files in one directory. Then use only the filenames in your app. If the user wants to view e.g. the ABS system diagram in an Audi car, first click on the Audi position in the brand list. Then a list of systems in the car is shown, clicks on the ABS system. Your app knows the name of the file that contains the ABS diagram for Audi and opens it.

Faq regarding the lists.

Especially this:

Nobody said that creating a good app even in AI2 is easy. Everything takes a lot of study and work.

Which was my point at the beginning of this discussion.

I don't see a huge issue with creating a local directory structure. It can provide for more granularity when using file extensions to browse for files (these blocks for working with image files only, for demo purposes):

There is no purpose in that - it is more complex and thus prone to error. The App needs to deliver the granularity to the User for ease of selection (àla Patryk's description) - the User is not browsing any directories, he/she is selecting subjects from Lists. The code for loading the files is straightforward when there is only the one directory to read from. KISS :grin:

It is fun searching through a list of 700+ files for the right one :wink:

For that reason i am using actually the built in device explorer....
If you know what you are searching for it takes 10 seconds to find the correct document :wink:

Take a few screenshots of your device that show what it looks like in the devise explorer (if the PDFs are stored in the external storage and not in the ASD), so that we can get an insight into the file / directory structure.

And where should the problem be to represent this files / directory structure in a list? (Regardless of whether all files are in one folder or in different folders or sub-folders).

SAMSUNG Device with Android 8.1:

Google Device with Andoid 11:

If they are in ONE folder, I have to rename ALL 700 files, in order to find them. And then they would became very long filenames.

There are files named guidelines for example. Every different system has a guideline and there are actually about 50 different systems, so I think the folder structure as it is would be the best!

Example:
system1/subsystem1/item1/guides/2021/guideline.pdf

If I had ALL files in ONE folder it would look like this:
system1_subsystem1_item1_guides_2021_guideline.pdf

This is by far not user friendly!

That's not it though? In App, as described by Patryk, you can have a single List View that first displays a Master List, from which a sub list would be selected and displayed in the same List View. When you pick any item in a Sub List, a more verbose description of the item can be displayed, so that the User can then decide if they want to read more, make another choice or just exit.

Thats right, but if there is an update in the csv file (e.g. new folder with a new system), then it does not work anymore!

Updates often need the App to be updated. However, if your are able to craft your CSV into Categories and subcategories that could mean no change to the App - it only uses a single List View Component, which lists what you want it to list at any given time. No folders required in the ASD, just the files.

1 Like

That's not right. The file name has to be App Friendly, the App has to be User Friendly.

How many Screens does your App currently have?

You can implement this File Explorer into your app. I adapted the paths to your ASD. It only displays pdf files and folders and is limited to the "kundc" folder, where you downloading folders and files to.

FileExplorer.aia (87.7 KB)

You need to add these extensions:

https://puravidaapps.com/file.php

https://aix.colintree.cn/en/extensions/ColinTreeListView.html

You also need to pull icons from resources and add them to your app.

3 Likes

Dear @Patryk_F, Thank you soo much!!
Thats it and it is working perfect, thank you again for your efforts!!!

1 Like

Dear Patryk_F,

I was wondering if the File Explorer is also working below API 29, so I was testing it and it is only showing the folders, but not the pdf files in the folders!?