difficulty creating an address book

address.aia (3.9 KB)
I'm trying to create an address book. Name, Surname, address, telephone. When I post I should see them on a list. If I select list items I can modify, I can also delete. This I am looking for. But I find obstacles because they are at the first tests.
I can't see the list.
List Picker works, but you have to press the button to see ... I thought that by entering a contact I could directly see the list with Label or something like that without pressing a button. I save and see.
Can I split elements with a line? Can they be numbered?
I will ask many questions because I want to learn.

Try this one. Instead of list picker I used ListView

address_1.aia (5.8 KB)

thank you. I've tried, but it doesn't work. There are 15 notices. In any case I see that you have some experience and perhaps I have not explained well.
the contact items when I press them I would like to see them in the list below. If I select an item in the list I should be able to edit the item ... the selection texts should appear.
I am used to FileMaker and I struggle to understand this approach where I have to assign functions where I do not expect. But I'm not dealing with a database, but something different.

Try to clear your tinyDB and test it again

Works like this

you are right. Deleting now works

1 Like

Is this what you wanted ?

I would like to understand how the data is saved.
I have name, surname, address, telephone. Do I have to put "\ n" or "-" to divide these items between them? I think it would simplify without. I find it cumbersome to have to split the elements. I struggle to understand how MIT AppInventor works. If I save the items I wrote and then a listview displays them for me why does the view change the data content? I am conditioned by the Database mentality. When I save a data then I can show it in a thousand different ways, even combining it with others without ever changing.

Now - to understand - name, surname, address, telephone, I write them and save ... are they "a record"?

I tried to remove the new line and the hyphen. The list becomes continuous in one line but the items are not divided between them, even if I can modify and delete. Is there a way to detach these voices as in excell without adding texts that I then have to split?

It depends how you organize your data. You can save them in list or text string, or dictionary.

i expect something like a matrix ... like excell for example. A text string is fine too if I can distinguish the various elements. The split is not a nice system. Where can I find an explanation of how these ways work?

yes thanks, but i want to understand. It works, but it's not enough for me because I don't understand all the elements. It is very important to understand how to manage data.

Reading http://www.appinventor.org/bookChapters/chapter19.pdf might help you understand..

If not enough explanation, try Detailed blocs functionalities - where do I find them please?

A very good way to learn App Inventor is to read the free Inventor's Manual here in the AI2 free online eBook App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps ... the links are at the bottom of the Web page. The book 'teaches' users how to program with AI2 blocks.

There is a free programming course here Course In A Box and the aia files for the projects in the book are here: App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps

How to do a lot of basic things with App Inventor are described here: How do you...? .

Also look here App inventor español. Offline. Tutorial. Ejemplos. Instalación. Códigos. Juegos. Curso gratis de App inventor. and here Tutorial Index | Imagnity for more tutorials

Learn about components Component Reference
and visit the Library The MIT App Inventor Library: Documentation & Support Help>Library on the MENU

Also go find a tutorial on JSON, which is a transportable text representation of structured data.

AI2 can encode and decode dictionaries and tables (lists of lists) to and from JSON using Web component blocks.

1 Like