Can I do this? Include another websites equipment search in my APP?

Hello and Greeting to all the API2 smarter than me folks. :grin:

I was pondering this Topic Question, I have searched and wasn't able to locate a suitable answer to the question. I have an API2 app I made to Unlock and turn "on and off" some BLE characteristics of this locking device. Works Great , LOVE app inventor so much I've become a disciple :star_struck:. It just works!! took allot of reading and trying but after a year and several revisions, I'm satisfied and it works perfect.

NOW How can I make it better? So there exists a Website that has a "search box and Magnifier button on the "http:\ Page" to click. i.e. You enter a Serial # includes alphas and numeric input click the Magnifier and It spits back some result or "NOTHING found" I want to put that in my screen or add a screen to my app, so that its just a copy or link or embedded or I have NO idea? what.
Can this be Done?
I can expound further if needed.
Thank you and it's AOK for the TLDR's
Great Site
PJ :sunglasses: :v:

Sometimes the web site takes the search box contents and builds a new URL containing the search terms, that you can save as a bookmark in your browser.

From that URL, you can pick out the different parts, to know hoe to build your own URL and skip a step.

Google Search is like that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hairy+aardvark+nose&oq=hairy+aardvark+nose

WOW, :heart_eyes: You guy's this forum...Nothing like it Well maybe "chatGPT" LOL
Thankyou , It's funny I was looking at the source for the page and when I copied the link it DID have the SN# in the string. I think you may have it though. Sweet and awesome thanks for the PUSH. :wink:

So I've been lurking and I know You got the creds, so here it is:

I got this locking device for the motion picture Industry, Have pitched it to many manufactures. Got lots of interest, Maybe TOO much. So it breaks down to this " There is millions of dollars of stolen gear every year ", Insurance co's are onboard with my patent pending device. (they are pushing manufactures to include it) The Web site that was/is being discussed is a Stolen Equipment Site. Rental Guard [](http://www.missingequipment.org/)
load page , put in "N81350202 (no.1)and hit magnifier(no.2) or enter. It gives back the info or nothing found(no.3) as I said.(I'm certain it's NOT that easy as 1,2,3) I want to just have a LOGO button that opens the test box to enter the Alpha' s and numbers and just indicate if anything was found.
Thanks for whatever knowledge you can drop on this dude. :point_right: :sunglasses:
PJ

So here is the type of URL to build by text JOIN:

http://esta.cbsunified.com/MissingEquipment/Search/Results?keyword=N81350202&from=&to=&category=&brand=

This is standard WebView or Web component stuff.

Samples:

Thanks ABG, I'll look it over and I appreciate the guidance, gives me confidents coming from you , " this is the standard WebView or Web component stuff."
:+1: :sunglasses:
PJ

BE AWARE Item 4 of ESTA' s use of their information Terms says what you intend to do may be contrary to their terms shown in this link> ESTA ,

1. Without ESTA’s prior written consent, which consent may be given or withheld in ESTA’s sole discretion, you may not:

(a) resell, sublicense, rent, lease or otherwise publicly distribute for profit any information provided on or through the Site or any Hyperlink, services, forum or database, or any part or parts thereof or information contained therein, or any access thereto;

(b) use your access to this Site or any Hyperlinked Site or ESTA’s information provided on or through the Site or any Hyperlink, services, database or system to export or re-export technical data in violation of U.S. export control laws and regulations;

(c) use this Site or any information provided on or through the Web Site or any Hyperlink, services, forum, database or system, which you access in violation of, or post any information to any ESTA owned or licensed database which violates, any federal or state law, including data privacy laws and communication regulations and tariffs, or which infringes the intellectual property rights or misuses proprietary information of a third party or is made in furtherance of an illegal or fraudulent scheme or activity; or

(d) modify, adapt, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, translate or convert any portion of ESTA’s databases or system for profit or economic gain, or the selection, coordination or arrangement of products or services in any ESTA database for profit or economic gain.

Consult with your attorney and ESTA to determine what you want to do is appropriate and legal.

2 Likes

I have permission from the OWNER and Creator. Not to worry.
But thanks for your input.
GL:-)