App Inventor + Kodular Planned Collaboration

I don't think that is the case here. Kodular devs have already given a lot back for instance during GSOC. I met with Kodular devs @Diego and @vishwas personally a couple of times and that is not the way they think. I think you can not judge this without knowing the persons behind this project personally.

3 Likes

I think the entire conversation is just moving to an off-topic discussion. Most of the last comments are just speculation on the reasons for Kodular staff to migrate to App Inventor, and conversation regarding the future of Kodular (and the reasons) should not be discussed in the App Inventor Community.

The announcement on this community was just intended for all users to be aware of the upcoming plans, as we'll be posting new topics regarding implementing new functionality from Kodular Creator. It was not intended to create a discussion on the reasons to deprecate Kodular Creator (which anyway, are explained in Kodular Community, in case you missed it), or any other kind of speculation.
The main purpose was to not create a "surprise" on why Kodular staff were adding features to App Inventor, rather than keep developing Kodular Creator.

But to solve and settle your question, I'll keep it short: there is no money involved. As we've already stated in both topics, maintaining both App Inventor and Kodular platforms is very time-consuming, and from Kodular side, we believe we no longer have the required time that we think our users deserve. And because our platform has grown so much, we don't want to forget about any user using Kodular Creator (formerly, Makeroid Builder). The solution we came up with is joining forces and maintaining a single platform.
Kodular Creator users will be able to migrate and keep developing their projects in App Inventor (there are still some open questions like what will happen with monetization components, as App Inventor will NOT integrate them natively, but it is required to migrate Kodular Creator projects), but all those kind of questions will be eventually solved in the future.
And in terms of time for Kodular staff, some of us will keep contributing to the development of the platform, but on the App Inventor platform and not Kodular Creator, so we reduce the amount of time required to maintain both platforms, AND we speed up and improve the development of the App Inventor platform by providing a lot more of developers.

3 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up about Kodular Diego. The dialog was actually about other platforms joining the collaboration too. However, my point stands - nobody in the world can survive on nothing - developers have to have an income. Kodular Developers income, if not from MIT, will be from elsewhere and the time available to make App Inventor contributions is funded by that other work or a pension or sponsorship or bank of mum and dad etc. It may be different for other related platforms, their developers may be reliant on the income from their product.

4 Likes

By the way - it applies to Power Users too Peter. We all have a separate income to survive on (whatever that may consist of) that allows us to provide technical support free of charge for App Inventor.

1 Like

I was under the assumption that you thought MIT was paying for the collaboration. :sunglasses: So I guess you meant something else. Let's stop this off topic this discussion and get back to work :grin:

Congratulations on collaboration.

I think...

App Inventor will feel like next big updated version of Kodular :smile: :wink:

1 Like

Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. :wink:

3 Likes

Okay

1 Like

Well, in this respect the AI2 users / PUs are only informed about a cooperation that has already been decided. Nevertheless, it should be be more than comprehensible and justified that at least some - to whom I definitely belong - express their concerns about it here.

To what extent this is supposed to be off-topic may be understood by anyone who wants to, at least I don't.

If only enthusiastic comments were allowed to be posted, it might have been better to close the topic again immediately after posting.

Btw, "Most of the last comments are... conversation regarding the future of Kodular..."
To be honest, I'm more interested in the future of AI2.

1 Like

The MIT App Invetor UI is the BEST.

The MIT team will continue its existing policies of reviewing contributions as they will all be going into the open source repository on GitHub, which includes testing and review of the code for potential issues. These discussions happen publicly on the pull requests. We are also being joined by two veteran contributors of App Inventor from its time at Google who are helping in this process in terms of both coding and reviewing.

2 Likes

Is there a way where creating a chatbot can help reduce the unwanted spam?
I am sure the repeated questions on server down, particular component broken, etc. can be answered by a chatbot which is learning continuously.
Well this is an idea that just popped into my head and am not at all sure if it is going to be feasible to implement.

1 Like

We haven't talked yet about what's the future of Kodular Community, but we'd like to keep it active anyway. Of course, questions regarding app development will end up moving to MIT App Inventor Community, but we think Kodular Community will still be useful somehow.
Regarding ProKoders, we didn't decide yet what to do with the group, but they will definitely be reviewed. We wanted to revisit and "refactor" how it works a long time ago, but couldn't do it because of lack of time. But with the collaboration, when we eventually reach the transition point, we'll see how we handle the ProKoders group.

3 Likes

There could be, I remember stumbling across a plugin for Discourse...

1 Like

IMHO, this would be the thin end of the wedge :wink:

4 Likes

As I said, I am not sure how would the implementation go, and of course should be implemented after careful deliberation...

• I personally think the AppInventor UI should remain the default and dominant one after the collaboration, because this gives default AppInventor users a better feel.

• I don't really approve the Kodulsr way of adding spaces between blocks (like Error Occurred). This is kind of buggy, for example, extensions find the blocks with the same name separated with spaces. Also, this is programming, users need to learn how programs are formatted.

• Will the Classic theme still be supported? The Classic theme has simple title bars and UI, easy for a simple app.

1 Like
1 Like

I think it's a good idea. Many good programmers will join forces. AppInventor will be a little more modern, and there will be no more problems with extensions for different platforms. There will also be no division of the community.

1 Like

any update for this collaboration?

1 Like