App Inventor + Kodular Planned Collaboration

I follow Github. Currently, several components are in the process of being corrected, but they don't seem to be approved yet.
Firebase, Camera, NearField, Sound and SoundRecorder.
I think it will be a long and winding road :grin:

3 Likes

Definitely, and presumably a bug-rich road. :wink:

Yes, I think we will need a test server where we can test apps imported from kodular and appinventor.

2 Likes

Can we have any Roadmap or something like that for this collaboration

1 Like

Probably not. Everything is done for free, in the programmers' free time. In such conditions, no one will work according to any rigid plan. There is a general plan for this to happen in 2024, but it could also be 2025. No one can guarantee a date, just like with the iOS release.

3 Likes

Any update on this? Is this even happening?

Yes, see the post above yours for "timelines"

Yeah, during this summer we have been working with Google Summer of Code students to bring some new features that were available in Kodular (though they are not "1:1 ports").

I was mentoring a project that ported some Android components to iOS (not all components were Kodular ones, they were also AI2 components), and Vishwas has been mentoring the "Project Settings modal" project (which moves the App Settings properties away from Screen1 properties to a specific dialog).

7 Likes

Great News :star_struck:

Will app inventor get lower level APK exports for APK files for older phones ? Currently we can't choose a export level in ai2 but in kodular we can

Them older phones work good for Senses and toch screens I using an old phone just to interact with my led system.

It's not an export level. It's minSdk, the minimum Android version the app supports. Installing the package on lower Android versions will result in an error.

App Inventor itself was meant to support lower SDK's like Android 2.2, but the features you use may drastically impact this.

See also post #24.

It depends on which components require which (minimum) API level.

Mostly to a wemos server. (Wifi) I would rava work with ai2. But kodular just looks more nicer for users and has some better handy but not needed components and options that just help

But. Ai2 blocks are better. But ai2 beats it everywhere else and stable

Yes, this is what I said.

1 Like

Thank you for working on the implementation of the kodular components, we are excited that they can be in app inventor

2 Likes

is this will be soon ??!

Will depend on your definition of soon...years most probably, months possibly, weeks unlikely

2 Likes

never most likely :wink:

1 Like

@Diego and I spoke about this over the weekend at FOSDEM. One of the major challenges has been the bandwidth on MIT's side to try and get the changes reviewed and merged into the system. While we have been able to get a few smaller changes, the pace has not really been I think what either team aimed to achieve at the start of the process. That said, we still have this on our radar and are going to allow for people to propose projects helping migrating components to App Inventor through GSOC again this summer.

5 Likes

Please do not be to sure about this. I am an active App Inventor user and a member of this forum. However I do not always log in although I check the forum almost every day for new posts. So maybe lots of users are looking at the forum but not participating.