App Inventor + Kodular Planned Collaboration

Okay

1 Like

Well, in this respect the AI2 users / PUs are only informed about a cooperation that has already been decided. Nevertheless, it should be be more than comprehensible and justified that at least some - to whom I definitely belong - express their concerns about it here.

To what extent this is supposed to be off-topic may be understood by anyone who wants to, at least I don't.

If only enthusiastic comments were allowed to be posted, it might have been better to close the topic again immediately after posting.

Btw, "Most of the last comments are... conversation regarding the future of Kodular..."
To be honest, I'm more interested in the future of AI2.

1 Like

The MIT App Invetor UI is the BEST.

The MIT team will continue its existing policies of reviewing contributions as they will all be going into the open source repository on GitHub, which includes testing and review of the code for potential issues. These discussions happen publicly on the pull requests. We are also being joined by two veteran contributors of App Inventor from its time at Google who are helping in this process in terms of both coding and reviewing.

2 Likes

Is there a way where creating a chatbot can help reduce the unwanted spam?
I am sure the repeated questions on server down, particular component broken, etc. can be answered by a chatbot which is learning continuously.
Well this is an idea that just popped into my head and am not at all sure if it is going to be feasible to implement.

1 Like

We haven't talked yet about what's the future of Kodular Community, but we'd like to keep it active anyway. Of course, questions regarding app development will end up moving to MIT App Inventor Community, but we think Kodular Community will still be useful somehow.
Regarding ProKoders, we didn't decide yet what to do with the group, but they will definitely be reviewed. We wanted to revisit and "refactor" how it works a long time ago, but couldn't do it because of lack of time. But with the collaboration, when we eventually reach the transition point, we'll see how we handle the ProKoders group.

3 Likes

There could be, I remember stumbling across a plugin for Discourse...

1 Like

IMHO, this would be the thin end of the wedge :wink:

4 Likes

As I said, I am not sure how would the implementation go, and of course should be implemented after careful deliberation...

• I personally think the AppInventor UI should remain the default and dominant one after the collaboration, because this gives default AppInventor users a better feel.

• I don't really approve the Kodulsr way of adding spaces between blocks (like Error Occurred). This is kind of buggy, for example, extensions find the blocks with the same name separated with spaces. Also, this is programming, users need to learn how programs are formatted.

• Will the Classic theme still be supported? The Classic theme has simple title bars and UI, easy for a simple app.

1 Like
1 Like

I think it's a good idea. Many good programmers will join forces. AppInventor will be a little more modern, and there will be no more problems with extensions for different platforms. There will also be no division of the community.

1 Like

any update for this collaboration?

1 Like

I follow Github. Currently, several components are in the process of being corrected, but they don't seem to be approved yet.
Firebase, Camera, NearField, Sound and SoundRecorder.
I think it will be a long and winding road :grin:

3 Likes

Definitely, and presumably a bug-rich road. :wink:

Yes, I think we will need a test server where we can test apps imported from kodular and appinventor.

2 Likes

Can we have any Roadmap or something like that for this collaboration

1 Like

Probably not. Everything is done for free, in the programmers' free time. In such conditions, no one will work according to any rigid plan. There is a general plan for this to happen in 2024, but it could also be 2025. No one can guarantee a date, just like with the iOS release.

3 Likes

Any update on this? Is this even happening?

Yes, see the post above yours for "timelines"