Annoying error: Server error: could not upload file. Please try again later!

What happens if you create a new empty Project and load all the images (drag and drop) into the media tray?

Seems that I can upload a lot of files more, I uploaded 32 png files (original format) and the csv file without any problem. Now I could try to copy all the project using the backpack to see what happens.

1 Like

You can copy a Screen in the Designer just by copy and paste. That carries over related Blocks too, but not unrelated Blocks - so delete the Blocks that arrive with copy-paste and then use the BackPack to transfer all the Blocks of one Screen.

Hi
Im working on a project much bigger, and I have the same error message any time my Internet connection is not fast enough.
It improved a lot when I changed from DSL to optic fiber (with higher bandwidth).
And I got the error back all the time if I try to work on mobile data (I need to wake up early in the morning, when everybody is sleeping and I can enjoy most of the mobile bandwidth just for me).
Hope it helps

Interesting!
Could you please explain the step by step procedure to follow in order to copy a screen in the Designer?

Try this:

1 Like

See also

2 Likes

Yeah, that's exactly what I did in my tutorial.

2 Likes

Understood.
You copy and paste the whole Screen component.
Thanks a lot to all of you (I'm always learning a lot)

2 Likes

I have the same problem also using AI2Offline with the same files and same number of files uploaded so in my case i do not think the problem may be on internet connection side.

I use this strategy between screens on the same project but not between 2 different projects... I really did not realize it may work between projects

Not saying AIO2Offline is a bad product but it is out of date - when App Inventor is patched, it is a critical bug fix. Also, sad to say, but some developers are openly asking developer communities how they can fake things like versioning and compatibility, so we should be wary. In my opinion, the most reliable offline versions are those made by Hossein Amerkashi, who is a fellow Power User and developed Appy Builder. However, he only bashes an offline version out when we need one.

Rather than have two Screens that are similar, you can use one screen to host two virtual Screens (Vertical Arrangements), or simply hide/display individual components on one Screen.

1 Like

Well, I read the release notes and anyway if you have to maintain a project for long time I do not advice to do it using a tool working only online, what may you do if the service closes or if they make a modification not compatible with old releases and you discover the problem when it is too late? Actually I have no much spare time but surely I have to learn how to build AI2Online to make more or less automatically a release that may be installed everywhere, I will contact the developer(s) of AI2Offline to learn the basics and eventually work together to speedup the build process.

In this case helps to understand in which side the problem is. If it is on both it is quite not probable that the bandwidth or the network connection is the cause of the problem. I should guess the problem is somewhere related to the size or number of files we can upload, may be a memory limit also but I am quite sure it has nothing to do with the connection between client and server. I am not saying that if we have very low bandwidth or the server receives too many requests we have no problems, I am sayingin that in that case we will have many problems, not only this one.

Very unlikely but if it where to happen, the AI offline versions would quickly become out of date with Android versioning, given that their core code is from the AI online version.

App Inventor, as an educational tool for the World, supports the lowest Android version possible to cover schools in poor countries -with great success, 195 countries in total have App Inventor Users.

However, the commercial interests of Google do of course get in the way - it may be that some of the changes to Android recently are as much about profits as they are about improvements to security? Clearly, it is in Google's interests if everyone has to upgrade to the latest Android version.

Every update is documented and the current version number is displayed when you open a Project (complete with a link to a list of changes), so you really shouldn't discover changes too late. Bear in mind that MIT tries to ensure component changes are compatible with previous releases - the disruption, which affects every Android builder, not just App Inventor, are changes to Android made by Google.

You appear to be heading way off your topic.

AI2 should be able to handle dozens of small files in the Media folder.

To avoid server error issues when uploading files to your media folder in AI2, have you considered downloading the aia project, opening it up with an unzip program, adding your image files to the assets folder, zipping back up - renaming to aia if needed, then import your fully loaded aia project to AI2. (Ensure a different name, if necessary). This can also be a lot quicker than uploading media folder files one by one.

I think you REALLY have not so much experience maintaining projects for more then 5 years after the delivery. I have projects 25 years old around the globe and the space and I am still able today to recompile them as 25 years ago. If a tool is not anymore available does not mean I can not use the previous releases to maintain my project(s) releases because I have it on my PC, VM or server and I seen everything working because I delivered a succesfull project. These (and frequent backups) are the things that make me sleep peacefully at night

AI2 seems to be NOT ABLE to handle dozens of small files... my files are between 3KB and 11KB each and just after 21 to 27 stops to be able to do that. But your advice to "manipulate" the project it is good, not only because it may work but because we could understand where the problem is and to learn some AI2 internals.

Well you are both rude and entirely wrong about that.