Why My Compiled App With Trojan / App has virus

Yes. We did a release on Dec 19th (nb181). Every release that brings new functionality to the platform inevitably makes the apps bigger as every app has some new code that it didn't have prior to the release. That doesn't imply that there is a virus.

I just built an app and uploaded it to Virus Total and it didn't trigger for Avast or Avast Mobile. It's possible that they've already updated their heuristic database to account for the false reports. Unfortunately, without seeing the contents of the app it's unclear what the cause could be that's triggering Avast. Different components include different libraries. If you also use extensions, those could potentially be adding code that triggers the warning. Make sure your Avast definitions are up to date and then try building a simple app with App Inventor, compile it, and install. Does this still result in the dialog today (1/1/2020)?

Please excuse me if I disagree. I am not sure whether virustotal.com is a reference for the existence of a virus or not. It is just a kind of search engine, which in turn taps into anti-virus websites.

My apk is also recognized as not infected there, although the pre-installed Avast from my phone shows it as infected.

The fact is that since the compiler change, the pre-installed mobile version of Avast has wanted to detect the Evo-gen virus.

Please try to find someone who has a current Huawei phone (for me it is a P30Pro and a P10) and try to install your apk there. If everything works, I don’t know what to do. But I’m pretty sure that you will also see your app as infected.

As I have already written, I tested the app with and without extensions. If necessary, I can also provide you with my apk.

Now I just created an app that consists of only one button. This app is also shown as infected.
Ray

Test_AV01.aia (1.3 KB) Test_AV01.aia (1.3 KB)

Working Good ! No Problem !

May I suggest that MIT should checking the newly release compiler ? Because this version create “virus” and make user lack of confidence.

I also strongly suggest MIT expert try to create your own app using this newly release compiler and testing see wether got bonus of “virus”

@Ray. Virus Total actually runs all of the anti-virus programs it lists, it does not “search websites”. There can be a difference between a web-based test and a device-based test simply because the version of the AV program could be different.

@JatiMuar We do of course test our own Apps. Let’s get things into perspective:

1. There are approx 400,000 unique App Inventor users per month, but only a handful reporting a virus problem. If there really was a virus in a MIT App such as the Companion APK, we would surely be getting hundreds if not thousands of reports.

2. Avast is mentioned a lot. There are two issues - firstly, installing a 3rd Party AV can “clash” with the resident AV, potentially causing issues with both. Secondly, Avast has a poor reputation for false-positives amongst developers on desktop computers and so it is not surprising that this is apparently so on Android devices too.

Myself and fellow professional developers have also noted that too many mistakes are made by AV companies. You report a false-positive, it’s acknowledged and the AV “fixed” - then a few versions later, the same issue arises again…

1. Huawei devices are mentioned a lot in this Topic too. Huawei AV can produce false-positives but Huawei do not wish to admit that possibility. It is possible to report an issue to them, but they seem to always deny responsibility and suggest that you have not carried out their instructions properly. I believe this is actually a cultural issue as much as anything.

I’m not going to suggest that Android is bullet-proof and can’t catch a virus, but it’s structure is very secure compared to desktop Operating Systems. Google Play checks Apps too - their test might not be perfect (no test is), but it does mean the ‘average’ App downloaded from Play should be safe.

The 3rd Party AV Apps for Android are often from companies whose main market is the desktop PC running Microsoft Windows. That market has become saturated and so the chance to hop onto Android has clearly become irresistible. However, that doesn’t mean those Apps are doing a good job, or anything useful at all…

1 Like

Hi Chris, everything you say is certainly correct.

Unfortunately, I can only repeat myself: Every, really EVERY AI app that I wrote is reported as infected on my Huawei devices. You may want to contact all available users who have a Huawei device and ask them how they are doing. They only need to install an apk that contains only a single button.

Surprising but true, I received an answer from Avast: “We examined the file in our virus laboratory and adjusted our virus database accordingly. Since the last Avast update, the problem should no longer exist.”

Unfortunately, nothing has changed on my Huawei phones yet. That’s why I wrote to support again and asked at what intervals the mobile version gets updates. I am now waiting for an answer.

Ray

Hi Ray

Not really a surprise to get an answer like that from Avast :slight_smile:

Huawei smartphone test results are meaningless - we cannot force Huawei to update their software and although they are updating Android regularly, that doesn’t mean their AV is, or is going to be. So, frankly, Huawei device Users are just going to have to use their own judgement as to whether or not a Huawei virus alarm is actually correct. Virus Total is helpful - if the majority of AV tested does not raise an alarm then that has to be good enough info for a User/Developer to say Huawei AV got it wrong, ignore their alert. I cannot see what else can be done, given Huawei’s stance. It is quite possible that a 3rd Party AV on the same device will report the same false-positive as Huawei AV will have already flagged it.

Even on Windows Desktop, I suspect that the AV industry exaggerates danger as much as possible - one day we might find that some viruses are born within the AV community…

At least you have identified the issue lies with Hauwei devices, and not with AI2 …not to say that MIT should not at least have a look at why some of the build code is flagging viruses/trojans…

Note: Hauwei/Honor sold 400 million devices in the last two years, that is a lot of users to contact :wink:

… Actually, I do know of one really silly “detection” that is carried out by some AV programs. The scenario works like this:

1. An actual, genuine threat is created by Mr Bad Guy using a known Compiler that identifies itself in the code or other supporting files.

2. This genuine virus is therefore added to the direct tests that an AV program runs. That’s fine.

3. What is not fine - they add the Compiler name or ID to their tests too, such that any software developed by anyone using the same Compiler as Mr Bad Guy gets their App flagged as containing a virus when it fact it is clean.

The above is the bain of Indy Developers who do not have the financial might to challenge the AV companies.

@Ray @JatiMuar

If you really think the compiler is compromised and that you can’t trust MIT, then I ask you to check out and build App Inventor from sources here. I expect that even an app built on your own machine will still flag the virus scanner until the virus definitions on your phone are updated.

Given that App Inventor’s mission is focused on education and not primarily as a tool for people to publish apps via Google Play (you can use Android Studio for that), and given that we have a small development team, we can’t dedicate resources to push back against Huawei or Avast’s issues with false positives.

3 Likes

I literally did that earlier in this thread and Avast did not report as a virus when I scanned with VirusTotal.

1 Like

@ewpatton

I’m sorry that you obviously misunderstood me completely. I never claimed that the AI ​​platform is actually infected. Maybe the code is now similar to an Avast mobile virus definition.

I can only say what I have experienced myself. I just wanted to point out that I have received this virus message only since this compiler change. Avast is of course responsible for correcting the virus definitions.

Anyway, I have to wait and see how Avast responds to my last request.

I’m sorry that you obviously misunderstood me completely. I never claimed that the AI ​​platform is actually infected.

@Ray, That was suggested by JatiMuar.

I have tested a simple Hello World App on a Huawei P30 Pro (VOG-LO9), Android v9 01 November 2019, and do see the same warning message.

I have removed all mention of App Inventor and MIT from the files that make up the .aia file, but that did not make any difference. There may be something in the App Manifest that the Huawei does not like but if so, it is their responsibility to tell us - but I don't think that will happen.

1 Like

After build apk with mit app inventory I install it on my phone. After that I see on my phone a security message: “Virus” from two app.
The first is my project (MaricaCard) and the second is the application MIT AI2 Companion.
The virus name is Evo-gen.
Why I see that from apk? How can I solve that?
You can write an answer in English or in Italian.
I’m Italian so I prefer Italian language.
Here there’re some screenshot.

What version of the virus definitions is everyone running? Follow these steps to check and please let us know:

1. Open Avast and click on the hamburger menu in the top left

1. Scroll down to Settings and click it:

1. Find Updates on the list and click that

1. Read off the “Virus definitions version”. You may want to “CHECK FOR UPDATE” beforehand to get the latest version.

1. If you didn’t have the latest version, try updating and rescanning your device to see if it still reports MIT App Inventor. You may need to uninstall and reinstall the app as Avast might remember that it previously marked the app bad.

@domipoke This discussion discusses the most probable reason your app is flagged as a virus.

Are you using a Huawei Android or use an AVAST virus checker? If that is true, this post discusses your problem.

Avast is pre-installed, no version-number available, no chance to handle it anyway.

Now I compiled my app with this both offline-compiler:
a) nb180/AI2Offline_x64.exe (2 months old)
b) nb181b/AI2Offline_x64.exe (7 days old)
from: https://sourceforge.net/p/ai2offline/activity/?page=0&limit=100#5e058890ee24ca37089a4469

After compiling with nb180 NO Virus detected by pre-installed Avast on Huawei P30Pro
after compiling with nb181b VIRUS detected by pre-installed Avast on Huawei P30Pro

Hello domipoke

Welcome to our new Forum. Please let us know the make and model of your phone and the Android Version.

Honor 9 lite
Security patch 1 november 2019
Android version 9
Is there a way to remove this bug? please answer me.
Is better if it is a free way

Honor 9 Lite is a Huawei device. See the above posts.

There is NO bug in App Inventor. This is a serious problem with Huawei’s virus detection.

Sorry, there is no simple solution. You might be able to disable the virus checker and replace it with one from GooglePlay. When the notice appears, simply click the ignore button and enjoy your app.