Why is [" "] is added by default to my variable when i assign an array?

hai all, can anyone help me with my issue??
i am actually assigning my array to a variable .my array contains two strings which i extracted from my server response and i want to extract my value which is present in 1st index of the array.
but when i try to extract by clicking a button i get an runtime error ,shown below

runtime

why is [" "] is added by default to my variable when i assign an array

the designer logical blocks used is shown below
desinger

can anyone suggest an solution for my issue
i don't want ['' '] getting assigned so that i can extract value...

you might want to display the response content from the erver in a label to find out, what is going on...

generally use Do it to debug your blocks, see also tip 4 here App Inventor: How to Learn | Pura Vida Apps
see also Live Development, Testing, and Debugging Tools
Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

In your for each listitem in list block in Web1.GotText, you call join on the item you're adding to the list. This coerces it into a string value. If you plug the select list item block directly into the add items to list block it should fix the issue.

If i plug the select list item block directly into the add items to list block, i get the response in this form (xxxxx xxxxx)
previously i was getting like this ["xxxxx" , "xxxxx"]
and when i assign the above response to a variable using the block shown below
assign
and here's where the global finalList is present

and now the variable block contians this ["["xxxxx", "xxxxx"]"]
and displays the error runtime

but my necessity is when i click the text button 4 it should display me something like this
["xxxxx" , "xxxxx"]

i think now my problem is expalined bit better
any help would be appreciated
thank u

As previously suggested by @Taifun, look at your responseContent or show it here, that should help you to decide how to code your blocks to get the listings correct, or for someone here to advise...

Your basic problem is your belief that you can stuff a list into a text box without consequence.

Some (but not all) lists can be converted back and forth to text using the Comma Separated Values (CSV) text format. There are list blocks for that.
If you sloppily fail to use them, you will get nonsense like this.

If you don't believe me, try to show this list in a text box ...