Which browser version does App Inventor use?

Hi,

I have created an application that displays a web page. On this page there is a link to open the menu using jQuery:

$('.filter').on('click', function () {

On a PC in FireFox, Chrome, Opera and Android phone 9, this link works fine and displays the menu, but nothing happens on Android 11.

There are several browsers installed on Android 11. Is there any way to choose the browser version for the project?

The problem turned out to be that localStorage = null. I have updated the Google Chrome browser, but the problem has not been fixed.

But the interesting thing is that in Thunkable X this link works well. So, is the problem somehow related to App Inventor?

wouldn't want to be wrong, but the AppInventor2 browser doesn't have local storage enanled, unlike the other AppInventor 2 ide inspired ones.

If you assume that the App Inventor 2 browser does not have local storage, then how does local storage work on Android 9?

Thank you, I saw this topic, but I hoped that the developers of the system would be able to answer this question.

I understand that they don't have time to answer such a small question.

That topic answers your question about local storage (not your topic title).

No. The WebViewer component links to the Android system WebView, not one of the browsers installed on the Android. WebView is not a full featured browser. Android WebView is a system component powered by Chrome that allows Android apps to display web content. This component is pre-installed on your device and WebView links to it. Google updates the version of the system WebView from time to time.

My understanding, WebView inherently has no storage. To provided storage, code needs to be written in the WebViewer component and might be possible.

There is a WebViewer extension which might be the solution:

In all cases, the WebViewer component uses the system's native WebView implementation. On versions of Android prior to 5.0, this was a custom WebKit implementation bundled by Android. Starting on Android 5.0 the system can use another engine, and on most Android devices approved by Google this is Google Chrome. The WebView interacts with Chrome through a separate background process and renders the page in the view's bounds. As the user upgrades Chrome on their phone, the WebView gains functionality.

However, some functionality needs additional setup from the WebView's client app. We don't currently enable every feature of the WebView, though. There are some extensions that do so you might want to consider those for your project if you really need localStorage. In theory, you can also use the WebViewString and WebViewStringChange blocks to implement a custom storage solution, but then the page contents will be specific to App Inventor.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.