Using ANDexplorer

This is a follow on question to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mitappinventortest/6uYyXpIexdQ/vvlTtE_qCQAJ

Since Android now no longer allows file:/// in an intent, is there anyway of starting ANDexplorer (or any other similar app) as an activity?

I ask because there are still references to using Andexplorer in the help pages (e.g. https://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/activity-starter.html)

did you try the full path, but without the leading file://?
i.e. the path just starts with a /, for example /storage/emulated/0/myFile.txt

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Yes - the activity just doesn't start.

Have a read (if you haven’t already) of the intent documentation for AndExplorer:

http://www.lysesoft.com/products/andexplorer/intent.html

Might be something there that helps (extras ?)

1 Like

It would really help if you provided a screenshot of your relevant blocks, so we can see what you are trying to do, and where the problem may be.

To get an image of your blocks, right click in the Blocks Editor and select "Download Blocks as Image". You might want to use an image editor to crop etc. if required. Then post it here in the community.

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

I have but didn’t get a solution.

The page you recommend is great but based on writing in a full Android Development Environment as opposed to App Inventor. In particular it uses the Uri.fromFile function which is not available in App Inventor.

I did try a few variations for my DataURI but nothing worked.

what about using the file extension and its GetUri method?

getUri

Taifun
PS: It would really help if you provided a screenshot of your relevant blocks...

Unfortunately the GetURI returns file:///storage/emulated/0/temp.txt, and if I put that in as the dataURI the activity fails to start.

If I remove the filename (so set the dataURI to file:///storage/emulated/0/), I get the original "exposed beyond app" error message.

The blocks look like this:

And the settings for the activity starter (the only component) like this:

Try empty DataUri property (don’t put anything in there)

Blank dataURI => Another case of activity doesn’t start.

I have dropped an email to Lysesoft support.

Thank you!

I do find it interesting that my apps compiled under earlier rules still work. Why doesn’t the “file:/// is no longer allowed” affect them too?

Have you tried compiling this current project (not something I tested....)

Yes. By “compiled” I meant created an apk. Sloppy language on my part (I remember when you had to compile and compose!)

Managed to solve?

No response from Lysesoft

Try:

content://sdcard

contentt

Error 601: No corresponding activity was found.

@Jeremy_Child

Just clarification:

1. Do you have installed andExplorer?
  2. Do you use requested permission for Read and Write Storage?

Because I have try still work :slightly_smiling_face:

Video:

2020-07-23-21-50-23

Block:

Maybe will help :ok_hand:

1 Like

@kangris
It's still going wrong. Please call me on whatsApp. Help me please.
personal information removed by Taifun, please use the community to discuss issues
Thank you.