TTL3 security using API Method

How to use a protection in TTL3 using API method and insert it in MITApp Inventor 2.

• Type To Learn 3?
  • USB to TTL3.3V Converter?
  • tetratricopetide-repeat thioredoxin-like 3 ?

Time-to-live it is a protection mechanism used to avoid Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks on networks and systems.

You could provide links to a description of TTL3 and to the API.

Also, you could tell us what your have tried.....

This article calls it a cacheing parameter for content lifetime:
https://www.imperva.com/learn/performance/time-to-live-ttl/

In this example, the TTL3 class contains a constant MAX_TTL that represents the maximum number of hops allowed for a packet. The processPacket method is called for each incoming packet and checks whether the current TTL counter is greater than MAX_TTL. If so, the method decrements the TTL counter and forwards the packet. If the TTL counter is equal to or less than MAX_TTL, the packet is discarded using the dropPacket method.

class TTL3 {
private final int MAX_TTL = 3;

public void processPacket(Packet packet) {
    int currentTTL = packet.getTTL();
    if (currentTTL > MAX_TTL) {
        // decrement the TTL and forward the packet
        packet.setTTL(currentTTL - 1);
        forwardPacket(packet);
    } else {
        // drop the packet
        dropPacket(packet);
    }
}

private void forwardPacket(Packet packet) {
    // code to forward the packet to its next hop
}

private void dropPacket(Packet packet) {
    // code to discard the packet
}

}

this is just a basic representation of how a TTL3 mechanism could be implemented in a Java system

TTL3 security using an API key allows you to authenticate and authorize incoming requests to a network or system.

In this case, each incoming request is checked for a valid API key. If the API key is valid, the TTL counter is decremented and the request is forwarded to the system. If the API key is invalid or is not present, the request is discarded.

class TTL3API {
    private final int MAX_TTL = 3;
    private final Map<String, Integer> apiKeyTTL = new HashMap<>();

public void processPacket(Packet packet) {
        String apiKey = packet.getApiKey();
        if(apiKeyTTL.containsKey(apiKey)){
            int currentTTL = apiKeyTTL.get(apiKey);
            if (currentTTL > MAX_TTL) {
                // decrement the TTL and forward the packet
                apiKeyTTL.put(apiKey, currentTTL - 1);
                forwardPacket(packet);
            } else {
                // drop the packet
                dropPacket(packet);
            }
        }else {
            dropPacket(packet);
        }
    }

private void forwardPacket(Packet packet) {
        // code to forward the packet to its next hop
    }

private void dropPacket(Packet packet) {
        // code to discard the packet
    }
}

In this example, a map is used to track the TTL counter for each valid API key. The processPacket method is called for each incoming packet, checks if the API key is present in the map and if the current TTL counter is greater than MAX_TTL.
If both conditions are true, the method decrements the TTL counter and forwards the packet. If the API key is invalid or not present, or the TTL counter is equal to or less than MAX_TTL, the package is discarded using the dropPacket method.

So is there a way to insert a TTL3 protection into an application made with mit app inventor 2?

AI2 is intended to make apps that run on phones and tablets, typically as clients, not servers.

The mechanism you described sounds more like something a server would run.

The API recognizes the key and accepts it, then passes the data packet I'm sending to the server. But... Where can I put the code to make the key accept me?

If you are using the web component, you can add headers.

Your question reminded me of implementing the OSPF protocol in network class when I was in college. The level at which TTLs are typically handled is much lower in the networking stack that what App Inventor usually concerns itself with. There might be extensions that allow you to interact with UDP packets or the like directly so you can set a custom TTL based on your protocol, but the standard components like the Web component assume that the Android/iOS network stack will handle this sanely on your behalf.

1 Like

Hello, OSPF (Open Shortest Path First) protocol is a routing protocol used to distribute routing information in an autonomic IP network. It uses Dijkstra's algorithm calculation to determine the shortest path to a destination and supports address aggregation to reduce the number of routing entries in the table. It doesn't give me any certainty on what to pass or not, correct me if i'm wrong.