Texting Problem

I am facing a similar problem to this Scenario if message not received. Texting.MessageReceived
In this example there was no solution given.
It is imperative that the user gives a correct number to be authenticated. @Taifun's phone number doesn't work because the Telco keeps it hidden. I can authenticate by SMS only if the user types in the correct number. If the number is wrong, the SMS goes off into the Telcosphere and no message is received. I have experimented with a solution that sends a 4 digit auth number which is used to authenticate the number but it works only if the correct number is entered. I don't want to show my blocks right now, 'cos they are an absolute mess. I need a solution, can anyone help?

How to get the Phone Number of the Device with App Inventor

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by Taifun.

Yep. Done that one, but it works only if people enter their correct number.

you could add a clock component to check, if the sms has been received after a few seconds and if not display a notifier for the user to check the phone number

Taifun

I thought of that, but cannot quite work out how to do it. Where in the blocks do I put the timer?

after sending the sms you start the clock and in the Clock.Timer event you check, if the sms has been received (you might want to set a global variable for this in the MessageReceived event)

you might wnat to try something and if you get stuck, then post a screenshot of your relevant blocks

Taifun

Yep, will try that. And I was wondering if there may be a hybrid solution using the texting app you produced (the one using Json)? If it's possible to read only the last received SMS, that could do the trick. I like the idea of the 4 digit auth code, and I think that and the texting working together maybe perfect. I'll give it a go, what do you think?

So it means that somehow I have to rejig the blocks so that they combine both of these.

If you could point me in the right direction please. I think we have a solution.

@Taifun thank you for your help. Solved it with the timer.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.