Telepresence Robot

Hi there!

I have quite an interesting problem to solve and it all has to do with managing communication for my telepresence robot. A telepresence robot is a robot that you can control over the internet from any remote area. Below is an image of how communication works:

So I will have two Android phones, one for the driver and one for the robot. I need to create two apps, one on the driver end to send movement commands and receive data from the robot and the other on the robot that will communicate with the driver app via the internet and further communicate with the microcontroller which controls all the robot functions via Bluetooth.

The data that will be sent from the robot to the driver will be how far nearby objects are using ultrasonic sensors (object avoidance) as well as the battery life of the robot.

What I need help with is just direction and an approach to making the apps send and receive the required data that I mentioned above. Bear in mind, this is my first time making apps and I am unfamiliar with MIT App Inventor.

A very good way to learn App Inventor is to read the free Inventor's Manual here in the AI2 free online eBook App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps ... the links are at the bottom of the Web page. The book 'teaches' users how to program with AI2 blocks.
There is a free programming course here Course In A Box and the aia files for the projects in the book are here: App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps
How to do a lot of basic things with App Inventor are described here: How do you...? .

Also do the tutorials Our Tutorials! to learn the basics of App Inventor, then try something and follow the Top 5 Tips: How to learn App Inventor

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

Thank you!!

Start with making an app for the robot. Taken an Android phone instead of an iPad. App Inventor is not good at doing Bluetooth on iOS.
Tell us what the robot looks like, what is it powered with (some kind of Arduino?), what kind of Bluetooth does it support (BLE or classic BT)?
When you can communicate with the robot locally, which is difficult enough, you can start thinking about communicating with the phone over the internet.