Taifun tools validate email address

Hi all,

I've been searching for the email address validation method, and even tried extensions.
One of it was taifun tools of EmailAddressIsValid block but resulted failed.
Below are the blocks I was trying to implement, but no matter what email address I tried to input the error message will still come out.
Is it I used it wrongly? Please help :pray: :pray: :pray:

My method returns true if the address is valid... and in this case you display that message... which means, you have to add a not block from the logic drawer..

If not email address is valid
then display the error message

Taifun

hi @Taifun,

I have added the not block but seems not working as well.
I just input any text without the "@email.com" but no error blocking, don't know why. :cry:
Still will register the account, and of course in Firebase will appear "not found" as no valid email address.
Please help :pray: :pray: :pray:

use Do it to debug your blocks, see also tip 4 here App Inventor: How to Learn | Pura Vida Apps
see also Live Development, Testing, and Debugging Tools

And show us your Do it result

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

Hi @Taifun,

It returned True as shown below.

Because that email address is valid...
Try an invalid address

Taifun

Hi @Taifun,

It did return False if the address is not correct, and at the companion side it won't accept any email input.

Correction: pattern is not valid.
As long as input contains @ , host.com or any domain and something before @ then it would return true.

This if just input only "any" instead of "any@e-mail.com" still will pass the error checking.

Show us your Do it result as proof
Btw. usually you use a textbox to enter the password...

From the documentation App Inventor Extensions: Tools | Pura Vida Apps

Returns true, if it is a valid email address, else false. Details about the logic used.

Taifun

hi @Taifun,

As shown below, i just enter "hoo" instead of full email address and it returned True when i Do It for the block.
Please advise if I did it wrongly.
For the password entering, i will use the password text box component.
Thank you.

You can't validate email address offline or with just one block. Read Taifun's last post again. The method only verifies if provided text matches email pattern or not. It does not mean email is valid. (exists or not)
You will have to use any api or email verification through link.

hi @vknow360,

i noted and understand on your explanation, and actually what i want to do is to validate the email address format only, whether the user enter the correct email address pattern or not.
It's not about to verify the existence of the email account.
hope this answer what i want to do here.

If so then any@e-mail.com is a valid email address.

You have to use a green Textbox1.Text property block here, assuming the name of that Email textbox iyou want to check s Textbox1

It might be a good jdea to do some tutorials to learn the basics

Taifun

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.