Students having issues connecting to iPad

• Edge is now Chrome based so it might not work either. Edge occasionally had issues with App Inventor Projects in the past. That might no longer be true. Why not try Edge and see what happens?

• There are issues using the Canvas movement Blocks with ios Dynamic positioning of sprites causing collision boundaries issues in iOS . Your Project uses Canvas, so the problem might be issues w.r.t. a Canvas ios bug .

I have tried other projects, simple 'myfirstap' project and still no luck. Will try edge and report back.

Edge same thing

Hi @lori,

We believe that we have a temporary workaround for the Chrome 94 update. You can try loading your project into http://ai2-test.appinventor.mit.edu and see if the iPad will connect with that server. Please let me know whether or not it works for you.

Just tried, now I get a message saying my companion app is out of date. Have forced close, restarted still same error.

You need to use the companion app provided on the ai2-test server. You can revert to the production companion app afterwards

You can select "Not Now" at the dialog. The upgrade mechanism is only available on Android. Since we're just testing to see that a project will connect, it's not necessary to run the exact version on the test server.

1 Like

Yes it works!!!!

Thanks. I will pass that on to the rest of the team.

So is there a solution now for me or my students...or do i use the work around you shared?

Do you typically use ai2.appinventor.mit.edu or code.appinventor.mit.edu for your classes?

ai2.appinventor.mit.edu

Just chiming in to say that I have the same issue as Lori. Stuck with Chrome and iPads and the issue is new to this week as well, so seems like it may be a Chrome update issue then. The workaround provided seems to work for now. It's very interesting because the app and iPads work fine, but the more we use App Inventor, the more computers start dying off.

I guess for now I will see if I can get my IT dept to downgrade chrome (lol, doubtful). Hopefully an update can come soon to fix this issue!

Thank you guys for your support.

Hi @shaun.young,

Thanks for the feedback. Are you also using ai2.appinventor.mit.edu? Or are you using code.appinventor.mit.edu?

I am also using ai2.appinventor.mit.edu

I will try the other one and report back.

Edit: code.appinventer.mit.edu has the same problem of not loading a project.

Yes, that's fine. We are determining how to prioritize the rollout of the fix.

Seems that this fix also fixes the issue with iPads for me. Should I try to get my IT department to push that out to all the browsers in my lab, or wait and see what you guys come up with?

1 Like

I seem to have gotten, somewhat fixed, but my chromebook would keep getting disconnected with a network error. It mostly happened when I tried to switch screens, but I got that fixed, but whenever I minimize the companion it always disconnects. You might want to check that out. Thanks.

We've deployed a temporary workaround on ai2.appinventor.mit.edu for the Chrome 94 change that prevents connections to the iOS companion.

1 Like

If you're using iOS, the problem here is that Apple allows apps to run in the background from about 30 seconds before closing them. If you're live testing, you'll want to keep the companion app open otherwise the browser will no longer be able to talk to the companion once the background server is stopped.

1 Like