Student not given option to select yes on Terms of Service

I am teaching online and have a SpEd student who cannot seem to get past the Terms of Service window in MIT App Inventor. I have him sharing his screen and the Terms of Service open up in a new tab whenever he tries to click on Create Apps. I am watching him scroll to the bottom of his Terms of Service but there is no button to accept them. I am flummoxed on what to do. Anyone else having this problem? Can anyone help?

Thank you.

1 Like

Not sure what is actually happening.

When the student uses the orange Create Apps button, he/she should see this screen

It asks that the developer sign in using his/her gmail account. Ordinarily, one just selects the item opposite the red check mark I added to the image if the account is active. Left double click the icon. Clicking should send the person to the App Inventor Web app.

On the same screen, is a link to Terms of Service (I circled it in green) ; the link takes one to this screen, One does not have to read the terms of service as a condition of logging in. If someone does click this advice, the way to get out is to close the browser folder.

The Terms of Service indicates the student should have a Google account to sign in.

Is this what is happening Amy? Does the student have a google account? If she/he is younger than 13 there may be issues. There are work arounds. It is possible to access an App Inventor server without an email address. That might be what your student needs to do.

Also, App Inventor's Terms of Service indicated, to join, you just sign in using a Google Email Account.

Note, to use App Inventor without an account: If you are seeking to use MIT App Inventor for classroom use, we have developed a different version of the platform which does not collect or maintain any personally identifiable information (PII). This version is available at http://code.appinventor.mit.edu and may be more appropriate for your use. If you have any additional questions, please contact us at appinventor@mit.edu.

Is this helpful?

Regards,
Steve

Thank you so much, Steve. He does have a Google account and he is signing into MIT App Inventor with it. He showed me that when he shared his screen. Then afterwards, he gets the Terms of Service screen again, in a separate tab, not the pop-up box, with no option to select "I accept."

Unfortunately I can not replicate your student's experience Amy. What browser is he/she using? He should be using Chrome or Firefox (Edge does not work properly with App Inventor). If you use the orange Create Apps button, do you have this issue too?

Are you familiar with this MIT server http://code.appinventor.mit.edu ? Your student might be able to use it instead of logging in on the main server.

I don't know what browser he is using. That's a good place to start. I will definitely ask him during our class period today. No, I don't have this issue, nor does anyone else in any of my classes. I am not familiar with the server you suggested but I will definitely look at that as an alternative. Thank you so, so much for your help and I will keep you updated on what I find.

I think I know what the problem is.

When you Login to App Inventor for the first time, After selecting your google account it shows you a Terms of Service Screen.

@abaker Is your student logging in to App Inventor for the first time?

Maybe the Accept button is hidden below the visible area of the window. Tell him to scroll down or to zoom out a little bit (CTRL + - )

He says he has logged into MIT App Inventor before but I cannot verify that. I will try having him zoom out. Thank you for that suggestion as well!

No, that is not what @abaker has said, I think.
I am also not able to show a proper screenshot of that prompt but it comes from this file:
https://github.com/mit-cml/appinventor-sources/blob/master/appinventor/appengine/war/Ya_tos_form.html

<html>
  <head>
    <title>Terms of Service</title>
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="static/css/Ya.css">
    <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
    <script src="static/js/tos.js"></script>
  </head>

<body>

<div class="floatingBox">
    To use App Inventor for Android, you must accept the following terms of service.

<H1>Terms of Service</H1>

You agree to have lots of fun learning to use App Inventor and making apps for your Android device!
    <br>

<p></p>

<FORM action="/ode/accept_tos" method="post">
        <INPUT type="submit" class="ode-textbutton" value="I accept the terms of service!">
    </FORM>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Page with no css

1 Like

WE FIGURED IT OUT!!! He wasn't scrolling all the way down his screen, only down the document. It was especially challenging because he's a SpEd student that I am teaching online, and he has no one at home with him giving him tech support. But we got it!

Thank you all so very, very much for your help with this. It's silly that it was such a simple issue to fix but I am very relieved. Y'all are wonderful!

1 Like

Thanks for the report. I've submitted a change that will adjust the CSS so that the accept button should always be visible in the future.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.