As a thank you, here's my humble contribution to the community.
I myself have struggled with string, where it had to be a number.
Apparently I wasn't the first, see these posts:
I tried the above solution of adding a zero to the string (string + 0), but then the error popped up somewhere else in the code.
I was working with sentences loaded from a tinyDB from where I had to extract a number, which was then obviously a string.
Applied the trick string+0 and stored that in a list.
As I then had to bubble-sort that list, the + sign was the problem.
I kept patching the code by adding variables and stuf to get it working.
But that was a big detour.
So I quickly created this small extension to deal with this problem, and to stop using tricks like +0 or *1.
(I updated the extension to comply with the naming conventions)
StringToDouble.aix (4.6 KB)
This way your code looks much neater