Show random item from listview then remove that item from showing again

In a virtual screen I make a list
For example:

1. Alpha
  2. Beta
  3. Charlie
  4. Delta

And in another virtual screen I press a button named change to show a random item from that list, but when I press it again I want the previous displayed item from being a possibility in the new random selection from being shown.
Example 2:

1. Alpha
  2. Beta
  3. Delta

And when all options are gone, for the the cycle to start again from the beginning. And this while using tinyDB.

I tried making 2 lists:

1. listOfHobbies is the list I use to save all the items I made to be saved and reused.
  2. randomList is the list I use to show the random item.

What I tried to do (and failed) is when displaying an item I copy a new list which list no.2 and then delete that item from list no.2, so when I press the change button the previous item isn't there to selected again.

Any ideas?

Don't use the pick a random item block when you need to remember the index you chose.

Instead, use the pick a random integer from 1 to length of list (list that you want to deplete).

That way, you have a number you can feed to the block that removes an item.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, your hint actually helped me solve it.

In your opinion is the idea of depleting another list efficient or is there a better way of doing things?

Edit:

For small data like this, concentrate on getting it right over efficiency, which is imperceptible.

For example, did you want to update the ListView after removing an item?

1 Like

I see, so basically if it works it works.

I needed the invisible listview to be updated not the main one. But thanks for the help.

But considering my project I might need to use clock to make the list time based so that it also changes after on a new day after determined amount of time. I need to learn how to use it 1st and might need to make another post on that

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.