Runtime Error for Speech Recognition

Hello everyone,

Recently, I've been working on some App Inventor tutorial examples. While developing examples related to voice control, I encountered an error: "Runtime Error for Speech Recognition: No Activity Found to handle Intent."

Initially, I turned to the official documentation but couldn’t find any relevant information.
So, I sought help from the community. After searching through several posts, some suggested that the issue arises because emulators don't support this function. However, I was testing on a physical device, not an emulator.

As I went deeper into forum discussions, I eventually came across a post that mentioned:

The issue was that I had Google Voice Input or Keyboard off.
Runtime Error for Speech Recognition: No Activity Found to handle Intent {act...} - #2 by Raphael_Jones

This helped me, but also left me confused because I don't know how to open it. I can only roughly guess that it may be because my phone lacks the relevant speech recognition service module.

Ultimately, the solution lay in Google Play. After installing the app "Speech Recognition & Synthesis by Google LLC", the problem was resolved.

Surprisingly, such crucial information was completely missing from the documentation.

I'm sharing this experience and solution for two reasons:

1. To help people who encounter similar problems like me; my experience may be able to help them.
  2. I hope this can be addressed at its root. It would be immensely beneficial if the documentation could include a hint or note, indicating that the Speech Recognition functionality relies on the "Speech Recognition & Synthesis by Google LLC" app.
2 Likes

You have not provided important information. What brand of phone are you using?

2 Likes

I am using a OnePlus 10 Pro (NE2210) smartphone. After installing "Speech Recognition & Synthesis by Google LLC", i can use the voice recognition function.
Today I also tested another phone, Samsung Galaxy S9+ (SM-G9650/DS), even with "Speech Recognition & Synthesis by Google LLC" installed, the voice recognition function still cannot be used.

As additional information, here is my code: