Problems right after MIT App Inventor (aiStarter) installation (when you do not use the default install directory)

Hi,

Please let me know how could I use this application in one Windows 10 x64 environment, because right after installing it, wasn't possible to go forward with the tutorials.

I think that this problem started due to the impossibility of changing the default path for this application, during the installation process.

Any advice about how to circumvent this should be greatly appreciated, of course too.

Tks in adv,
Sven

Hello Sven

You are not installing App Inventor - it is a Web-Based program. Note that only FireFox and Chrome are 100% compatible. Windows Edge (even the chromium based version) should be avoided.

What you are installing is AI Starter. That runs the desktop emulator - it's not strictly required as the App Inventor Companion App is much much smarter - it runs your App on your Android Device (phone, tablet) and you can tweak your App while it is running!. So I would recommend using the Companion 99 times out of 100.

The Emulator can be good for a quick test of your code. It cannot represent your GUI design in the way the Companion can. Not being able to install AI Starter should not prevent you going through the tutorials - again, the Companion is your friend.

You say:

Why should that be a problem? Why do you need to change the path?

Hi,

What you are installing is AI Starter

Tks for answering, but I only tried to use the App Inventor locally (in computer), as described in Installing App Inventor 2 Setup on Windows

Why should that be a problem? Why do you need to change the path?

Sometimes, to circumvent permission problems in windows. I learned that some software could perform better when you define other folders than the default (under C:\Program Files (x86), for example).

Tks in adv,
Sven

How's that working for you?

Sorry @Sbleck , aiStarter MUST be installed in the default directory. The default directory is the only place Companion 'looks' to find the components and files it needs to run.

If you install in any directory other than the default; aiStarter will NOT run. MIT says

most of the paths are hard-coded based on the OS (e.g., Windows always tries to run them from C:\Program Files (x86)\AppInventor\commands-for-Appinventor )

From http://appinventor.mit.edu/explore/ai2/windows 1. Click through the steps of the installer. Do not change the installation location but record the installation directory, because you might need it to check drivers later. The directory will differ depending on your version of Windows and whether or not you are logged in as an administrator.

You said "Sometimes, to circumvent permission problems in windows. I learned that some software could perform better when you define other folders than the default (under C:\Program Files (x86), for example)".

Do you have permission problems if you install in the default directory? You probably do not unless you installed from an account that has administrator privileges. Use the default directory and you should not have your postulated issues. :slight_smile:

The aiStarter instructions do mention " You must perform the installation from an account that has administrator privileges . Installing via a non-administrator account is currently not supported."

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. After reviewing the steps about how to connect and test apps generated, I've understood how to build and test apps made with MIT App Inventor.

Tks

2 Likes

Excellent - I think you will enjoy using App Inventor along with 400,000 others using it this month :grin:

Your installation was correct. The issue is that there is no endpoint for localhost:8004/ path set up. Go to localhost:8004/ping/ instead to test.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.