Pro Camera Extension

I am having a discussion with the developer of the Pro Camera extension on a different form. The form moderator suggested I bring the conversation to this form. Here's a summary…

--- Me ---
Thanks for a great extension.
I would like to do a CCTV type app that sends low-quality video from one phone to another via my local LAN. I did an app like this years ago, but it uses the original camera library which is no longer supported on my Android 11 devices.
Is there a way to get a bitmap or JPEG preview image from the frame (vertical layout) into a byte array variable that can be sent over the network to another device?
--- Pro camera extension developer ---
Yes, this is possible to be done. You can use any extension (other) which will return the byte values in a list that you can send over networks. But it may lag a bit because the list size will be too high.
--- Me ---
I’m not super knowledgeable in using App Inventor. Do you know what code (blocks) would be used in order to read the byte data from the frame (vertical arrangement)?
I agree it would lag terribly if I used the full-sized preview image from the camera. What I did previously was I was able to reduce the preview image size to, for example, 640x480. This was using the original camera library. From what I can tell the camera2 library will use the frame size to reduce the size of the preview image – so if I set the vertical arrangement frame size to 640x480 hopefully it will reduce the preview image size (this is all just a guess).>

1. In App Inventor how would I get the preview image data from the vertical arrangement?
  2. Will changing the dimensions of the vertical frame change the size of the preview image?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Pro camera: The pro custom camera