Possibility of bringing robust debug capabilities natively into App Inventor

Hi Evan Patton — happy winter break (I actually would not want to disturb you)

I have been exploring the App Inventor system framework where I was able to figure ways to intercept blocks to introduce debugging capabilities and I was able to do this using an extension.

I also recently was able to get it working in the REPL environment.
It worked for Component Blocks, properties, procedures, event etc (and also somewhat native blocks like Text, List etc). It was also able to create a back trace showing the first origin of error.

Would it be possible to revisit the attempt for introducing robust debugging capabilities in App Inventor?

Since App Inventor relies on modified Kawa libraries for Scheme execution, it would be best to implement it at the base level?

What are your opinions on this? To best implement it, it would also need an UI in the blocks interface. I would like to create an experimental App Inventor project on this.

Is App Inventor open to this contribution? It could require some guidance from the App Inventor team.

5 Likes

More debugging capability for App Inventor is something that has been on my mind for quite a while. Here's a design doc I wrote back in 2017 that explored how we might want to implement breakpoint and step functionality into the system if you'd like to read more.

3 Likes