Percentage calculator

how can i do this calculation?

A percentage is basically 1/100 or 0.01. To calculate a percentage in decimal value, just multiply the number by 0.01.

@Gordon_Lu could you show me a handmaiden, I'm new to programming still, please :pleading_face: :pray: With both functions I am very interested in learning

file aia

The multiplications in the Math drawer should do the job.

Here are some resources to guide beginners master the basics of App Inventor.

• A very good way to learn App Inventor is to read the free Inventor's Manual here in the AI2 free online eBook App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps (the links are at the bottom of the webpage). The book "teaches" users how to program with AI2 blocks.
  • There is a free programming course here called Course In A Box, and the AIA files for the projects in the book are here.
  • How to do a lot of basic things with App Inventor are described here: How do you...? .

Also do the official tutorials to learn the basics of App Inventor, then try something and follow the Top 5 Tips: How to learn App Inventor .

Regards.

1 Like

blocks

Hope you understood, Just change 700 and 5 to get the output for other calculations

1 Like

@ShanmugaNathan2023 Thanks,I'll create an extension with your theory

You don't have to create an extension; in fact, beginners shouldn't. Extensions are written in Java, not App Inventor blocks. Just use the blocks available in the Blocks editor.

Also, you can just click on the blue wheel icon, and add more sockets to the multiplication block, instead of using another multiplication block.

1 Like

A little digression in between with a question:

The really interesting question is actually (at least for me) who and why came up with the idea of normalizing the whole thing to 100. The fact that the percentage calculation (per centum) appeared as early as the 15th century still does not explain why this happened. When trying to get to the bottom of things, one often ends up in the Bible (e.g. at Abraham's age of 100 (?) etc.).

If I remember correctly, the Bible (old testament) says something about the tenth part (1/10) that one should hand over. The first biblical mention of tithing is in Genesis 14:20. Abraham returned victorious from the battle against nine kings in which he freed Lot and other captives. On the way home he meets the legendary Priest-King Melchizedek. Out of gratitude, Abraham gives him a one-tenth part of his booty.

Then why wasn't the whole thing normalized to 10, or - which would be best and most obvious - to ONE?

4 Likes

I would extrapolate further back, to Adam's initial finger count, though no explicit mention of it appears.

To give credit where credit is due, the symbols 0...9 are called Arabic Numerals.

Hebrew number representation assigns a numerical value to each letter of the alphabet. That's good for numerology, bad for arithmetic.

I have a Chai (18) tie clip, representing the word for life.

I would wear it to blind dates.

Unfortunately, many of my dates had dyslexia.

They would open their front door, see me for the first time, read my Chai tie clip, and say "yecch".

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.