Need help with water intake app

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner at MIT App Inventor and I am building a water intake app that reminds and tracks how much water you drink. The app will have these features:

• Dashboard: It shows how much water you drink every day, your progress over various time periods (e.g. daily and weekly), how much more you need to drink to reach your goal and how much time you have left in the day.
  • Intake tracker: It lets you record how much water you drink based on either a fixed amount or a custom amount. The app uses liters as the unit of measurement for water intake.
  • Reminders and notifications: They help you stick to your set goals. The app uses sound alarms as reminders that you can set up through the default alarm app on your phone. The app also sends notifications with fun and informative messages to inspire you.
  • Gender selection: It advises you how much water to drink based on your gender. The app first asks for your data such as weight, gender, and physical activity level to recommend a personal water intake plan. Then, you can modify your intake goal (increase or decrease it) as you want.

I need help with two features that I don't know how to do:

1. How to show your progress towards your water intake goal. I want to show a progress bar or something like that that changes based on how much water you drink. I don't know how to use the right blocks for this feature. Can anyone show me how to do this?

2. How to get and use more details about you to give you a better recommendation for your daily water intake. I want to use a formula to find out how much water you need based on your age, weight, activity level, etc. I don't know how to get and save this information and how to use it in the app. Can anyone help me with this?

I would be grateful for any help or advice from anyone who could help me with my app.

1. In its simplest form you could use just a label to show a progress bar, you can place the label inside an arrangement so that you have a background colour for the unused area. Set the width of the label accordingly to the number/volume of drinks consumed. Leave some space above the daily requirement to allow for more drinks.

Alternatively, search the community for the many different ways you can create a progress bar...

1. Water, drinks and your health - NHS

or just google "how much water a day" - problem here is you can get into "prescribing" which you may not want to do... best to stay with the 6-8 glasses per day. Note it is not just water that can count.

1 Like