MIT App Inventor for iOS: Now on the App Store 🎉

I have a doubt, how can I create a iOS app? Is there any environment to create that? :sweat_smile:

In order to be able to create an iOS app (IPA, like APK in Android) with AI2, you have to wait (at least) until the fall semester or try Thunkable or, best of all, use Xcode & Swift.

3 Likes

Oh I see, Thank you @Anke

The build functionality is currently in a closed beta test and we will be rolling it out incrementally to folks. We don't have a formal procedure for people to sign up yet for the beta but that will be coming soon-ish. Our biggest challenge right now is that we don't have a ton of available hardware for building out the iOS build infrastructure so we're trying to understand the scope of the hardware needs.

4 Likes

This has made my day. I've been teaching students to create apps but could only engage the android device users while the ios users looked on. Now, I'lle have the whole classparticipating. Thank you MIT Teams.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, and please keep us informed if your students encounter any issues.

2 Likes

Is the build server open source? Running it myself would not be an issue.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
I've been using the emulator and some tablets for several years.
You will make my 170 students VERY VERY happy!

4 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Hello! So it will be possible to create iOS app on day? :star_struck:

What do you mean by that?

Sorry! i meant: if it will be possible to build apps for Apple phones with App Inventor.

Yes, that's what this has been about here for years ...

2 Likes

Not at the moment. Now you can test your apps with the iOS companion. In the future it will be possible to build your own iOS apps. The buildserver is being tested at the moment.

3 Likes

Thank you for the kindness!

1 Like

Congratulation for the 'new born'
Excellent work

يوم رائع، الان تتسع دائرة استخدامه من الطلاب ،،، شكرا لكم

That it great news! I have only one concern now that everything is ready, so that my students can safely run their app inventor apps on their iOS devices for my course: will it be possible not to override older versions (when the update is not just a bug correction release) when the install process is run via the App Store? As a teacher, what I need is that the version I explain to my students in a given "college year" be available for download and install on their devices for at least 20 months (from August to March; for example from August 2021, when I update my course resources, to March 2023, when it is the last time they can take a test on those updated resources). Is that something that can be done when the install process is run via the App Store?

Unfortunately I don't think the App Store gives you that level of flexibility. The best you can hope for is to disable automatic app updates in the App Store settings and then not upgrade the app. TBF I don't think you can do this via the Google Play Store either, it's just that Android lets you sideload apps whereas iOS does not.

1 Like

Great job, thankyou.
hopefully soon we can make applications for iphone