MIT App Inventor Companion for iOS 0.9 (build 2)

Hello everyone,

We have submitted a new build of the MIT App Inventor Companion for iOS to Apple TestFlight. The version number is still 0.9, but we’ve introduced a new build field that will be incremented as we submit new versions. This version will be 0.9 build 2 if it is approved by Apple. Here’s the list of changes for this build:

• Added build number to main screen
  • Implemented a workaround to an optimization in iOS 13 that broke the companion
  • Implemented dark mode support for iOS 13
  • Implemented the ScreenOrientation property for Screen component
  • Implemented the ScaleUnit property on Map to prevent an error from occurring
  • Implemented the WebViewStringChange event on WebViewer
  • Improved gesture recognition on Canvas
  • Disabled CoreAnimation for updating Ball and ImageSprite locations that resulted in “lagging” behavior when dragging sprites
  • Set the default width of a Slider to be 50 pixel matching the expected default
  • Fixed some missing annotations that caused maps-related components to not load
  • Fixed some issues with constraints not being activated leading to UI layout issues
  • Fixed an issue that prevented the Marker.LongClick event from firing
  • Fixed an issue with SpeechRecognizer failing to report recognized speech
  • Fixed an issue with BarcodeScanner’s active scan area that resulted in the QR code only scannable in the top left corner of the field of view
  • Fixed bugs in the CSV parser logic for the built-in list blocks

This version has also been deployed to the preview server for those who have been using that service.

Cheers,
Evan W. Patton, Ph.D.
On behalf of the MIT App Inventor team

8 Likes

Reported bugs in this version so far:

• Layout issues with nested layouts under TableArrangement
  • Negative integers become 0 when assigned to a label’s text
  • Some people are reporting connection issues. Please let us know if you can help testing the connection capability.
2 Likes

The Web1.UriEncode works differently in iOS companion. iOS companion does not replace spaces with the "+" sign.

Hmm. I’ll have to think about this one. Technically, the idea of “URI” encoding is more broad than webform encoding which would have the + character substituted for the space character. Technically, replacing the space for + would only be valid in a query string, not generally so in a URI (per RFC 3986). To me it seems like the Android implementation is wrong here as %20 would be a more appropriate substitution for space everywhere in the URI other than in the query string. I believe it’s also valid in query strings too and that ?query=foo+bar and ?query=foo%20bar should be considered equivalent since they decode to the same string but it’s been a while and I’m not 100% sure.

1 Like