MIT App development (of a baby incubator)

Dear MIT Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently working on an exciting project that involves developing a mobile app with specific functionalities. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or insights you can provide.

1. Sensor Feedback:

• My app aims to collect data from two sensors:
      • NTC Sensor: For temperature measurements.
      • Humidity Sensor: To monitor humidity levels.
    • I want to display real-time feedback from these sensors within the app.
  2. ECG Sensor Integration:

• Additionally, I plan to incorporate an ECG sensor for monitoring heart rate.
    • The app should raise an alarm if the heartbeat is either too high or too low.
    • How can I effectively integrate the ECG sensor data into the app?
  3. Buzzer Control:

• Finally, I'd like to control an external buzzer using the app.
    • Users should be able to activate or deactivate the buzzer remotely.
    • What MIT resources or libraries can assist with this functionality?

I am eager to learn and collaborate with fellow enthusiasts. If you have any advice, recommended tools, or relevant courses, please feel free to share them. Thank you for your time and expertise!

Each of the tasks is a seperate project
How can you connect those sensors or the buzzer, so they can communicate with your app?Do they offer an API?

A very good way to learn App Inventor is to read the free Inventor's Manual here in the AI2 free online eBook App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps ... the links are at the bottom of the Web page. The book 'teaches' users how to program with AI2 blocks.
There is a free programming course here Course In A Box and the aia files for the projects in the book are here: App Inventor 2 Book: Create Your Own Android Apps
How to do a lot of basic things with App Inventor are described here: How do you...? .

Also do the tutorials Our Tutorials! to learn the basics of App Inventor, then try something and follow the Top 5 Tips: How to learn App Inventor

Taifun

Trying to push the limits! Snippets, Tutorials and Extensions from Pura Vida Apps by icon24 Taifun.

he project is a baby incubator with integrated features for monitoring and control. Below are the key components and functionalities:

1. Heater:
  • An Arduino-controlled heater will regulate the internal temperature of the incubator.
  • Safety precautions, such as proper insulation, will be in place.
  1. Fan:
  • An Arduino-controlled fan will ensure air circulation within the incubator.
  • PWM (Pulse Width Modulation)** will allow adjustable fan speed.
  1. Buzzer (Alarm System):
  • We'll incorporate an audible alarm systemtriggered by temperature or humidity deviations.
  • The buzzer will be connected to a digital pin on the Arduino.
  1. Temperature and Humidity Sensors:
  • For temperature measurement, we'll use an NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) thermisto
  • A DHT11 sensor will provide humidity and temperature readings.
  1. Bluetooth Module:
  • We'll integrate an HC-05 or HC-06 Bluetooth module with the Arduino.
  • This will enable communication between the incubator and a monitoring app.
  1. MIT App:
  • I plan to develop a mobile app using MIT App Inventor
  • The app will offer the following features:
    • Real-time Monitoring: Display temperature and humidity data.
    • Alerts: Notify users of critical events.
    • Remote Control: Adjust settings (heater, fan) via Bluetooth.
    • Bluetooth Pairing: Connect wirelessly to the incubator.

Since this is a medical device I can imagine that more that one caretaker has to have access to the data. What if you would send the data to a server and you get your info through an app from the service instead of directly from the arduino device.

Would that be doable in your case? I see you want to use bluetooth, is that because your wifi is not reliable?

Yes I have only a Bluetooth module

There is also the App Inventor Arduino Serial component. Never used it before.

https://community.appinventor.mit.edu/search?q=arduino%20serial

I think that a very small Bluetooth range will not provide sufficient mobility to control the incubator parameters.

Okay how can I create an app using WiFi?
I will try to get one but I know nothing how to create an app via WiFi

You forgot to answer this question

Taifun

I will connect my sensors to Arduino nano

I think that for communication via the Internet, the ESP32 module will be better because it has a built-in WiFi card. You can also find many examples for esp32 to communicate via wifi, also in our community.
One idea would be to create an ESP32 server and host your own configuration website on it. Website written in html and js. In the application you would only be able to display this page in webViewer. You could also configure it from a web browser, so you could do it from a PC as well as Apple phones.

A similar way is to set up a server with API REST. Then you create the entire user interface in the application and communicate with ESP via queries.